Installing plugins for the Linux illiterate?

Horrux

Hello, I am switching over to a 2-PC streaming setup. For reasons, I must use Linux on the streaming PC, but for all I've been wanting to get into Linux, I know nothing about it.

So I installed Linux, installed OBS and now I have no idea how to install this teleport plugin! Can somebody please baby talk me through that? I really want to minimize my stream's downtime... I'll get a grip on this Linux stuff later, I promise.

Last edited:

AaronD

Different plugins are distributed differently. There's been a well-received suggestion to add a plugin manager to OBS, but it hasn't happened yet. Anyway, if you go to the plugin's home page:
There's a "Go to download" button at the top right. All of them have that, and it takes you to where you can download the file(s). Here's where the differences start.

Some plugins have native package files for the popular Linux distributions. You just close OBS, install the appropriate package file for your distro, and it works.

Teleport doesn't. It has a single zip for everybody, and then you drill into that for your OS and chip type, and figure it out from there. In this case, there's the plugin itself - obs-teleport.so - and a script to install it - install.sh. I've seen scripts that do a lot, but this one just copies the plugin file to the directory where OBS looks for it. You can read it in any text editor to see where that is, and get a *little* hint of how Linux scripting works.

Horrux

Wow so I am freaking out right now... Nothing was working, so I reformatted my drives and reinstalled Linux Mint (latest version).

Then I ran the driver updater and updated my GeForce drivers;

Then I ran the Linux Mint auto-update;

Then I installed OBS 29 for Linux, and that worked fine;

Then I installed Teleport for OBS. It's very simple: in the console, I typed sh [path]/install.sh and the system responded with something like "Installed Lightning-OBS in [OBS/plugins/] directory.

Then upon firing up OBS, no sign of teleport whatsover.

Then I uninstalled OBS 29 and downloaded OBS 27 instead. Installed that, installed the Lightning plugin, and...

Now "Lightning" appears in the tools menu but when I click on that, the menu unveils "There are no parameters for this" or something like that. Well, the release notes say this version of Lightning requires version 28 or above.

So I go looking for OBS 28 for Linux and... I can't find it at all.

I'm going nuts here, please help!

AaronD

I've never actually used Teleport, so I really don't know. But I do have NDI because another machine with someone else's app outputs that.

The NDI plugin comes in 2 parts: the plugin itself, and a library that it depends on. Probably because of how the license is written, since NDI is a widely-used commercial thing. Make sure you install both, on both the sending and receiving end.

Both parts are available as installable packages. (.deb files) It's also been forked recently, so the plugin package comes from the new branch and the library is still in the old one. But it does work, in OBS 29...or at least it does on my rig:

Ubuntu Studio 22.04 LTS
OBS from the official repository: add the PPA, and then the normal update process gets you v29
Then install the NDI plugin
the plugin itself
the library