Question / Help Infinite screen mirror effect while streaming

McGurber

I have come across similar issues in the forums but these relate to users having one monitor. My problem is the same as theirs although I encounter the infinite mirror thing only while I try to stream. Is this because I am streaming with OBS open on 1 monitor while looking at my stream on the other monitor? Let me explain

I have my OBS Studio open on monitor 1 (my non gaming/non capture monitor) and start streaming
On monitor 2 (which what OBS is capturing) my twitch browser is open. I am basically watching my own stream for testing
However while the stream is live (on monitor 2) I get an infinite mirror effect which will be visible for anyone also watching the stream on twitch right? This infinite mirror effect occurs on Twitch as I am watching myself.

So my question being is this only happening because I am running OBS on one monitor, and watching my stream on Twitch on the other monitor? So basically if i close the Twitch browser on monitor 2 (which is my main capture screen in OBS) viewers wont see this infinite loop mirror effect?

I have read that the issue is related to not having window capture or game capture if people have one monitor but I am unaware if this also applies to those with two monitors? Or is it simply because I am watching myself on monitor 2 while streaming and having OBS open on monitor 1

koala

If you use OBS to capture and stream a monitor, all that is on that monitor is visible on your stream. If you have OBS visible on that monitor, OBS captures itself and you see OBS on the stream, which results in the endless mirror.
The same with previewing your stream. If you capture the monitor where you preview your stream, you capture the preview of the stream, and the preview of the stream is visible on the stream, which results in the endless mirror as well.

This does not have anything to do with having a certain amount of monitors. It's simply a thing of capturing something that contains a preview of the capture itself. The simple rule is: you must not have a preview of your stream within the area you capture.

McGurber

If you use OBS to capture and stream a monitor, all that is on that monitor is visible on your stream. If you have OBS visible on that monitor, OBS captures itself and you see OBS on the stream, which results in the endless mirror.
The same with previewing your stream. If you capture the monitor where you preview your stream, you capture the preview of the stream, and the preview of the stream is visible on the stream, which results in the endless mirror as well.

This does not have anything to do with having a certain amount of monitors. It's simply a thing of capturing something that contains a preview of the capture itself. The simple rule is: you must not have a preview of your stream within the area you capture.

Thanks koala

I appreciate the feedback. I will do as you mentioned.

kind regards