Question / Help Increasing video quality for recording?

D

Deleted member 210456

Hello, thankyou for checking this thread.
For starters my specs are as follows;

CPU - i7-8700k 3.7GHz 6-core
GPU - GTX 1080 8GB
RAM - 16GB (2 x 8GB)
144hz 1920x1080 Monitor
I'm not sure what other information would be useful, so please ask and I will gladly provide more info!

As said in the title I'm looking to increase my video quality just for recording, I have messed around with a lot of the settings and changed/tested just to look at the changes, and the best result of my recordings seems to be with the below;
1570115824137.png

1570117328885.png

Note: I have tried changing the Encoder to Nvidia Nvenc and (new) using CQP
Rate: Tried as low as 14 and up to 25 / Keyframe 2 / Preset - Quality / Profile - High / Max B-frames - 2. However I have had no luck with these settings, I have tried both increasing and decreasing different varieties of these, as well as enabling/disabling Look-ahead and Psycho Visual Tuning.

I have played around with the bitrate, and gone as high as 60k however this causes the video to lag as I imagine its way too much to handle, and as low as 5-10k there are pixels during the main, faster parts of the recording so I think I found that 20k Biterate is the middle ground for my current setup

I have also played around with the Rescale output, as my video base (Canvas) Resolution is at 1920x1080, and I have tried scaling it to match and down to 720 with no real improvements.

Below is a log of a 30FPS and a 60FPS recording using the above settings - The 60fps obviously looked a lot smoother overall, however I did have some skipped frames.
This was conducted on Monster Hunter World at High graphics, I respect the fact that this is a heavy game, however its what I would like to see myself record in the future - fast paced and quite graphic intensive games, I'm just not sure where I might be going wrong.
60 FPS - https://obsproject.com/logs/8MrL4s8nlWd6sC-M
30 FPS - https://obsproject.com/logs/CPtjopQKyv23cYR2

I am looking to upload/record to Youtube, and am aware that the video quality becomes worse after the upload.

At this point I am lost for what I should try next, I have tested out a large range of settings and, although none of them seem to improve quality greatly they do differ from performance (on some occasions the video will lag and stutter immensely). I have also tried the same rotation of settings on Streamlabs OBS (I am not actually sure if there is too much of a difference between the two, however results seem to be the same).

If there is anything I have missed please let me know, and I also appreciate any suggestions you may have!
Thankyou.

D

Deleted member 210456

You've probably changed too many settings, I would recommend creating a new profile and using tools / auto configuration.

I have just tried this, and the video is now butter smooth! One issue I also noticed as a result of this is that most of the lag and issues were due to using Windows "Film & Tv" Player to preview the recording, upon it prompting (for the first time) what I wish to view the file as, I chose VLC Media Player and the video quality and performance was exactly how I wanted.

I'm not too sure why this had such a huge impact, but my issue is now resolved - Thankyou for your help R1CH!