Include the 32 or 64 bit Info in the Titlebar

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
I want to get some more feedback in this topic than the title might imply:

The current new installer produces the following folder structure:
64bit -> C:\Program Files\OBS
32bit -> C:\Program Files(x86)\OBS

While I totally dislike that its not even asking for a folder anymore, the new structure seems good to me. No more confusion when explaining which is the correct folder. BUT I noticed the Shortcut on the desktop (which also gets added without asking) just leads to the 32bit version. EDIT: Only if he visits the Startmenu he will find the 64bit version. Allthough he will have no Idea why there are two versions anyway (but that is another topic).

Most of the time we ask someone on #obsproject which version he is currently running, he can properly answer, version XYZb. But if we ask him if he is using the 32 or 64bit version, they most of the time have no clue. This brought me to the idea of my topic.
"Profile XYZ - OBS version (bit)"
"Profile XYZ - Open Broadcaster Software version (bit)"
Show the current used "bit" in the title as well, not only in the logs :) In addition to this, maybe a FAQ entry on when to stick to 32bit or when to use 64bit. Like the only reason to use 32bit are bad 64bit drivers for some capture cards or is there something else?

I also had the idea that the installer could get an option for an "advanced" mode which lets us choose the folder for each of the version and deactivate the desktop/start menu shortcuts. Or do you think we should stick to the Zip file if we wish to select the folder?

Krazy

Town drunk
I feel like if you want to have control over where the stuff is being installed, use the zip file. There aren't any functional differences, really, between install version and zip version.

However, I heartily support adding which bit version is running to the title bar.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Oh so this was a recent thing? I actually was confused by this myself, I couldn't tell if we always had it this way or if it just happened recently (must have). I think one of us changed the installer script to do this. I too would prefer to be able to select install locations. I'll see if I can go through the install script to see if it's possible to make them both changeable.

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
I believe R1CH changed it when he changed the updater to update the 32bit version and 64bit version independently.