Image quality when live streaming using Logitec C920

Robi55

Hello All
New member here and new to OBS. We have just started live streaming serivces in our church using OBS and a Logitec C920 HD webcam. All going ok but lots of lessons to learn to improve things, both audio and visual. The set up is quite a challenge given the church lighting (multiple options) and a wide range of accoustics in a very big space. On watching back yesterday;s stream, it is the quality of the image which concerns me most. We have recorded previously using the C920 webcam and had excellent resuls in terms of clarity and colour saturation; but when we started streaming with OBS, the picture has deteriorated markedly so that the whole scene looks over saturated (over lit) with little definition or sharpness. We stream via Windows 10 on the default settings and using the in-built mic. .Any advice please on how to improve image sharpness? We know of other churches/cathedrals using the same kit and set-up and achieving very good results.

Nass86

Hello Robi

I use this camera. I too have been disappointed with the quality but later found out how you can make it look better. It's basically all about downloading the older software and turning off all the automatic controls.

Bear in mind that it still images best with closer objects - it was basically designed to be looking at your face from the top of your computer screen so you can talk to people.

If what I suggest doesn't work, you could consider that your phone (or a spare old smartphone phone you have access to) has a camera that is ultimately better for OBS in a lot of cases.

Logitech Software for Windows
Note there is a newer version but it is clunky and takes up more memory / slows down your computer.

Further info on the settings (but you basically UN TICK everything from Auto Focus, to Auto White Balance, and I think there's a third auto setting. Doing this also vastly improves the FPS.

Nass86

To use your phone as a camera you have to buy the app:

iOS Camera

DROIDCAM (for Google Android phones)

(buy the app AND install the camera app for your computer onto your computer so OBS then makes it available as a Source)

Phones since the iPhone 8 onwards have amazing cameras for streaming and they have optical zoom. Don't know the Android series but I think they can be better in a lot of cases.

The iOS camera is the best £16 I've ever spent. It works like a £200 webcam, or better.

Sukiyucky

Everybody's settings are going to be different depending on lighting conditions. You need to control this to be consistent at all times of the day. That means to draw the drapes and cover any windows with drapes. The darker the room, the better.

My C920 settings:

1611573899822.png

Click the Configure Video button above to bring up the following dialog box and two tabs:

1611573789208.png

1611574130040.png

Again, it is very important to control your lighting to be always the same through all hours of your streaming. If you can, get really dark colored drapes (like black) and don't let any light shine through into the room. Use photography light kits (at least two umbrellas or photo boxes) and point at the source.

Lawrence_SoCal

Hello All
New member here and new to OBS. We have just started live streaming serivces in our church using OBS and a Logitec C920 HD webcam. All going ok but lots of lessons to learn to improve things, both audio and visual. The set up is quite a challenge given the church lighting (multiple options) and a wide range of accoustics in a very big space.

A couple of things to be aware when using the C920 or most any webcam
- they are designed for close usage, so focus over 6-10ft away maybe pretty soft (my experience). simply couldn't focus on further distances
- like a smartphone, designed to filter out sounds coming from further away,

Then, @FerretBomb recently mentioned being careful when re-scaling sources as the OBS default is a fast CPU (but not necessarily high quality) re-scaling, therefore he advised changing Scale Filtering from Disabled (default setting) to bi-cubic

And then, depending on CPU/GPU power of your system, is avoiding unnecessary re-scaling (ie base vs output canvas)

we started our HoW livestream last Mar/April, and I switched us to OBS and the C920 in early April (from simple Mobile device only livestream). With a single person speaking relatively close to C920, with consistent lighting (I used a LED video light with octagonal softbox), you should be fine. Trying to cover a larger room with a webcam ... ugh
Within a month I'd switched to an alternate microphone, as person speaking was a bit over 6ft away from camera (for decent background setting using existing statuary, I started with a Plantronics Bluetooth headset). As things settled down, we switched to using the house sound system and with its wireless lav mic, piped into OBS PC... for much better audio
- had I to do it over again, and budget was tight, and priest ok with it, I'd have gone with a long 3.5mm TRRS cable and lav wired lav mic
we switch back and forth from live video to pre-recorded Prelude, Hymns, Readings, Psalm, Postlude, Announcements, etc) so issue of priest walking around during pre-recorded content meant wired connection wasn't a good fit
We have since switched to a NDI PTZ camera, in preparation for hybrid service (once allowed) ie in-person and live-streaming... not expected for months still, but there is effort to learn to use the tech.

So, you current ask is about optimizing OBS and webcam HoW livestream. my comments are more focused on next steps
For our liturgical (ie, non-evangelical) style service, I found a Service Bulletin alongside the video helps a lot.
If the Priest/rector/pastor/rabbi/imam is comfortable with it, my recommendation was to have the service be interactive (assuming Sermon were such to begin with). This keeps service from being a video to 'consume' and more community participation. so we literally have our priest with phone in hand during sermon. I'm given questions ahead of time to post (visual vs auditory learners/processors) during sermon. Priest then checks and responds tp live stream comments (in that way, very similar to old-style in-person service). this has kept our community very engaged and has been a huge hit