I'm giving up on OBS

Sentient Anomaly

I really want to like OBS and actually I do like it, but why is it such an inconsistent software?

It really works just about 50% of the times, with so many games it just won't record the video no matter what mode is selected (display capture, any app in full screen, specific game window in full screen). With certain games it never works, or sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.

Sometimes I record for like 2 hours then I stop the recording and realize that OBS has only recorded a frame or a black screen with only audio.

Now this has happened with a lot of games now and I already posted before about individual issues but I think the program itself it's just too unstable.

Alt-tabbing is a big no-no for what I learned, tabbing in and out of things definitely is going to break things, so I avoid this, but it's still problematic.

There's no recording indicator neither. You might think you've pressed the start recording button but discover later that actually you weren't.

It's a shame because it's open source and everything and I even got to learn how to use it properly with all the settings, but now I think I'm gonna have to go and learn Xsplit and see if that is more consistent of a program.

The game I just had issues with is Dead Rising but it's pointless for me to post a log, I did post various logs and even demonstration videos of the issue in the past when I requested help but nobody really could do anything to fix it (not complaining, just saying).

I just want to know if you guys feel the same way as me and have such a high rate of failure with OBS recording video and being an overall untrustworthy piece of software, that will let you believe you're recording for hours and then make you find out that oh actually your video is all black or just a frame or hadn't started recording.

Harold

My game capture failure rate is around 5% at most.

I also obsessively run my games in borderless instead of fullscreen. Tabbing out of a borderless game won't cause the same level of problems that tabbing out of a fullscreen game would, although I don't get the same behavior as you do with that either (portal and team fortress 2 primarily)

Are you doing everything on classic or are you getting the same problems with studio?

Sentient Anomaly

No I'm using OBS Studio, latest version (0.15.4).

What would your capture failure be if you ran in full screen? Because yours could be a good workaround, but the problem is there, I mean it should work in full screen too. I'd feel somewhat satisfied if we would collectively acknowledge that indeed OBS is very high-failure at the moment. I don't want this program to fail and be crap of course, I want it to improve and be great, but before improving it must be recognized that it really is a mess right now and way too often it just doesn't do what it's meant to.

Also how hard could it possibly ever be to add a recording indicator? A small circle or something. With all the features OBS has I'm shocked that this super simple thing that is so essential isn't in the program.

Harold

Probably around 10% at most based on the fact that I don't do graphics mods like sweetfx or ANY overlays beyond steam's one.

velvitonator

I've found that OBS has trouble hooking processes when RivaTuner (part of MSI's Afterburner) is running, because it tries to hook into the game, too. I have to kill MSI afterburner to get it to work in some games.

Do you have other software that adds overlays in-game? Maybe framerate utilities or something like that?

Harold

Conflicts with Game Capture: Other capture programs, Razer Synapse (disable heatmaps), graphics mods like ENBSeries and SweetFX, and any type of software or utility that displays an in-game overlay like EVGA Precision, MSI Afterburner, TS3/Mumble overlays, Dolby Axon, Raptr, Overwolf, etc. If you use D3DGear it must be uninstalled completely.
From our IRC support helper bot.

sushibloxxy

Hi, the same problem for me. I am a Windows 7 user and I use OBS Studio. OBS is a nice recording software without watermarks. I’m searching here at the forums how to fix the black screen.

Well, because of that problem, I set aside OBS for now, finding fixes. I’m currently using Bandicam for now, my problems are the time limits (10 minutes) and the watermark. I was wondering if the black screen was fixed, I can finally record Roblox games (I’m a Roblox gamer though) and Windows tips and tricks without time limits and watermark.

OBS is better than Bandicam, actually. Bandicam lags, and there are problems. I’m not trying to insult Bandicam, but in my opinion OBS is better than Bandicam.

Hope the black screen will be fixed someday.

Osiris

There is nothing to fix, this is a problem on your end. Plenty of people can capture games (including Roblox).

Osiris

And by that I mean there is not a bug causing this. You can create a topic on the forum or join the community chat to try to fix your specific problem.