[IDEA] Source Delay

Verzox

Hello,

I have an idea for your program and I hope you take this into consideration. The idea is to take delay settings and put them into each source you make or that you have already made in the properties tab. The reason I have brought this to your attention is because I have a capture card that has 2 second delay and I do speed-runs. I overlay the timer but it is out of sync so there is not a way to fix the issue. Another reason is that I stream rhythm games and I have my webcam so people can see that I am actually playing. The problem is with this is that the web cam video-to-audio is out of sync because I have it delayed for the game already so it is not optimal for me.

This is not hate towards your program nor the developers themselves but just making it known so you guys can fix the problem. If you do like my idea, make two delays. One for audio and one for video for each "Source".

Thanks, Verzox

paibox

heros in an halfshel
This has already been suggested, see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2577

Implementing a delay for image sources is unrealistic, as it would either require very large amounts of video RAM, or impact performance negatively by having to download frames to system RAM and then uploading them to the GPU again when the scene needs to be rendered.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
It may not be entirely unreasonable to download the video data to regular RAM temporarily, but the problem is both that is both a reduction in performance and the fact that delaying certain types of sources requires a very large amount of memory.

Most people have 6+ gigs of ram, but a large source delayed for 2 seconds can eat up a significant portion of that. It's a difficult problem -- my suggestion, if I may be so bold as to do so, would be that if you are on a desktop PC, to use an internal capture device instead of a USB capture device so that there is no lag (or use the USB 3.0 x-capture1 which is the best external capture device on the market)

If you're on a laptop you're going to have limited system resources anyway so I wouldn't even recommend delaying sources even if you did have the ability to do so

Verzox

Okay I see. Thank you for the reply even though we will not get the feature. Yeah I see how that would be a problem with limited amounts of RAM and video RAM.