Question / Help I have a ton of FPS in-game but Game feels laggy

ChancePalmer

My stream https://www.twitch.tv/chanc3_
When I stream I have very good FPS and the stream is completely fine but I feel laggy
The game I stream is fortnite and i have well over 144 fps for smooth gameplay and it's just laggy and doesnt feel smooth
SETUP
GPU: GTX 970
CPU: i7 - 7700K
RAM: 16Gb 2400Mhz

Typical task manager while streaming - http://prntscr.com/ihox29

Settings for OBS
x264
enforce streaming service encoder settings
BLANK
CBR
BLANK
VERYFAST
MAIN
NONE
BLANK
1920X1080
SCALED DOWN TO 1280X720
FPS 30
PROCESS PRIORITY HIGH

Also when I have my preview on my second monitor it lags the in-game more if i minimize it, It feels better but it also maybe a placebo not 100% thought I would mention it at least maybe help someone figure out my issue.

ChancePalmer

Yeah awful is really an overstatement for sure. You'll have to live with that since x264 is done on the CPU. Get a seperate machine if you need that quality (that noone notices). Then you'll have it all offloaded.
I posted this to see if people had "helpful" ideas not compromises. And I've used the Nvenc option and the quality is terrible tons of pixel's does not look good and from a viewers perspective "awful". All I need is suggestions on how to improve my performance not make my quality worse. Thank you for the suggestion though.

NVENC will not help since you are already maxing out your video card. Without a log though I don't know if the rendering lag/stalls are the culprit on this.

ChancePalmer

NVENC will not help since you are already maxing out your video card. Without a log though I don't know if the rendering lag/stalls are the culprit on this.
I don't know how to get you the logs to determine anything but if you do determine something what would be a fix lower my quality? Just guessing, I want my stream to look enjoyable for both me and the viewers, the gameplay being laggy will make me play worse and ultimately the stream less enjoyable

interspool

Run game in Full Screen mode, disable preview in OBS, and shove it into the taskbar. That will eek out every % of performance you can get.

You're already running pretty reasonable settings for your CPU. 720 @ 60 is reasonable on Very Fast with your bitrate the quality should be "enough". Don't think GTX 970 can handle NVENC very well especially at 4500 bitrate I agree it's not going to look pretty. Although I've had some good success with NVENC after playing with a lot of presets @ 6000kbps 720p60fps stream. VERY little performance hit - it's really nice.

Also dunno if you're streaming in 1440p but its not possible with OBS at the moment.