Huge FPS drop in-game by simply having OBS open.

solaaa

Hello, first time poster.
I've been having issues in Valorant where I can pretty consistently hold 300 fps, but simply having OBS or streamlabs OBS open with a blank scene drops my FPS to struggling to get 200-220 with dips to 150 despite OBS using less than .5% of my CPU according to task manager.
Things I've tried:
  • Core affinity in task manager
  • Setting valorant's priority higher in task mgr
  • Other OBS based streaming software(SLOBS/Twitch studio) same issue
  • XSplit (Actually worked but I like OBS' open source better)
  • Opening Valorant before OBS and vice versa
  • Turning battery settings to maximum performance mode
LOG: https://obsproject.com/logs/0jyuILGBb4bwA2_j
I'll attach a picture for any thermal or clock info while gaming w/ OBS open

SPECS:
  • Ryzen 5800x Stock
  • GTX 1070
  • 16gb @3200mhz
Thank you so much for anyone that can help

Attachments

• v56YTMwu9O.jpg
    v56YTMwu9O.jpg
    558.2 KB · Views: 282

trstn

I have the same problem and did the same things as you did, none of them also worked. If you found a solution please let me know.

Lawrence_SoCal

Uh, I suspect you are being unclear and in clarity is your answer

Opening OBS should have no impact unto itself (and I'm sure that is true on your PC as well... and before you object.. keep reading)
Opening OBS to a scene that has a video source enabled and is rendering (2X if using Studio Mode) .... well, you are NOT just opening OBS. you ARE doing the computationally demand process of real-time video encoding... whether or not you are recording and/or streaming (which is just saving/sending what is already been processed).

So, your PC isn't up to the task you are asking it to do, with the settings you have. It is VERY easy to drive even $5K workstation into overload... so care is required to balance what you are asking the PC, via OBS to do, and you may need to optimize other things in the OS to accomplish what you want. or back off/correct some OBS settings (lots of bad info on the Internet)

Your log lacks recording/streaming info (for a number of minutes, at least), which is needed to show all relevant settings

I'm not a gamer... so this may be worthless advice
- Research difference between Game vs Display vs Window capture, especially as it relates to really high frame rate environments
- What level of hardware resource utilization monitoring are you doing?
- NVENC should be using another part of GPU, but encoding settings can impact this (and default settings especially Pyscho Visual? apparently can have performance impact

FELX_ZERO

Opening OBS should have no impact unto itself (and I'm sure that is true on your PC as well... and before you object.. keep reading)
Opening OBS to a scene that has a video source enabled and is rendering (2X if using Studio Mode) .... well, you are NOT just opening OBS. you ARE doing the computationally demand process of real-time video encoding... whether or not you are recording and/or streaming (which is just saving/sending what is already been processed).

So, your PC isn't up to the task you are asking it to do, with the settings you have. It is VERY easy to drive even $5K workstation into overload... so care is required to balance what you are asking the PC, via OBS to do, and you may need to optimize other things in the OS to accomplish what you want. or back off/correct some OBS settings (lots of bad info on the Internet)

Your log lacks recording/streaming info (for a number of minutes, at least), which is needed to show all relevant settings

- Research difference between Game vs Display vs Window capture, especially as it relates to really high frame rate environments
- NVENC should be using another part of GPU, but encoding settings can impact this (and default settings especially Pyscho Visual? apparently can have performance impact
I joined just to tell this arrogant sweaty nerd that you are incorrect. In the past year i have used a 1060, a 5700xt, a 2080ti, and a 3070 just to test this. I have been streaming for a lomg time also and my computer has more than enough memory, ram, power source ,etc, etc to run obs 5 times at once. The other 30 people on here are not lying. Literally just opening obs with no scenes set up drops my in game fps by minimum of 40 frames on EVERY GAME when using the 2080ti or 3070. HOWEVER it does n9t do it when using an AMD card or a non RTX card. If you notice the only posts on here are RTX cards. This is an RTX and OBS problem and so far there is no fix besides redownloading obs which only works once until you do a PC restart. This is a massive problem with anything that runs off of obs64.

FELX_ZERO

In the past year i have used a 1060, a 5700xt, a 2080ti, and a 3070 just to test this. I have been streaming for a lomg time also and my computer has more than enough memory, ram, power source ,etc, etc to run obs 5 times at once. The other 30 people on here are not lying. Literally just opening obs with no scenes set up drops my in game fps by minimum of 40 frames on EVERY GAME when using the 2080ti or 3070. HOWEVER it does n9t do it when using an AMD card or a non RTX card. If you notice the only posts on here are RTX cards. This is an RTX and OBS problem and so far there is no fix besides redownloading obs which only works once until you do a PC restart. This is a massive problem with anything that runs off of obs64.

LEGION GAME

Hello, first time poster.
I've been having issues in Valorant where I can pretty consistently hold 300 fps, but simply having OBS or streamlabs OBS open with a blank scene drops my FPS to struggling to get 200-220 with dips to 150 despite OBS using less than .5% of my CPU according to task manager.
Things I've tried:
  • Core affinity in task manager
  • Setting valorant's priority higher in task mgr
  • Other OBS based streaming software(SLOBS/Twitch studio) same issue
  • XSplit (Actually worked but I like OBS' open source better)
  • Opening Valorant before OBS and vice versa
  • Turning battery settings to maximum performance mode
LOG: https://obsproject.com/logs/0jyuILGBb4bwA2_j
I'll attach a picture for any thermal or clock info while gaming w/ OBS open

SPECS:
  • Ryzen 5800x Stock
  • GTX 1070
  • 16gb @3200mhz
Thank you so much for anyone that can help
Same problem with me
My space
GPU:RTX 3070
CPU: i7-10700k

With game caster it's fine

LEGION GAME

OBS is using very high GPU just for running even not recording or Streaming for me also.
My pc spec.-
CPU-10700k ,GPU- RTX 3070.
RAM-16GB
Normally I can play Battlefield v at around 100fps but when I open OBS my fps certainly drops belo 30fps,,

Gravyquinn

Same problem.
RTX 3070
Ryzen 7 3700
DiRT Rally 2.0 with high graphic settings I can pull buttery smooth 120 fps @1440p on a 49" ultra wide without coming close to using 100%. As soon as I open OBS Studio my gameplay and fps fall off the map. And it doesn't seem to matter how low I set the cap at, it still won't hold and the GPU isn't running at 100%. The only way I've found that I can get it running properly again is to reboot.

It would be great if someone could find a solution to this.

c1ownface

same problem

RTX 3080 ti
Ryzen 9 5900x
64GB RAM, 3600 Mhz

In Warzone my frames drop from 180 to 80 fps by just opening OBS.... CPU usage inside OBS is shown as roughly 20-30% and Task Manager says 45-50%. My GPU usage according to Task Manager is only around 40-50% when OBS is opened and goes back up to as soon as i close OBS.

I already streamed several times without having any problems until last week...

kLokz

Has anyone figured out this solution??? I have the same exact problem! please let me know if you found an answer

DayGeckoArt

It may not be CPU usage, could be the process of the program grabbing the screens from the graphics card or from the OS. Try setting it for screen recording instead of program recording