Question / Help How to use OBS with TV Tuner

Hello, anyone familiar in using OBS with a TV Tuner?
Trying to Record with the program and my TV Tuner but all I get is a black screen video and no sound. Please help.
Would like to know how to scan for channels in the first place from the antenna with the tuner then to be able to choose what station I want to record. Then need to figure out how to use the program to Record it to file. I thought I had it setup correctly but must be missing something or maybe the program isn't supposed to work this way. Thanks

c3r1c3

Well...
1. You didn't tell us the model of the TV tuner, so that makes it literally impossible to help you.
2. If you can't get the Tuner working with it's own software, it's highly unlikely that it'll work with OBS. So please get your Tuner working with it's own software first.
3. Seems like you didn't read the manual for the Tuner. You're gonna need to do that if you have any hope of getting it working with your computer and it's own software.

Hello, it works properly with its own software, sorry if what I said above made you think I was having a problem with the tuners software outside of OBS. It works fine with other software. I am using a KWorld UB445-U2 and need help getting it to work with the OBS program. My questions were directed directly to this program. Thanks

Hi, tried it with my Hauppauge Tuner as well and there is no way to scan for channels so it just reads the signal that comes in from the antenna without locking onto a specific frequency/station that is needed when using a tuner so of course all you see is static. Oh well, maybe this will be fixed in a future release. Thanks anyway, was hoping to use this software :(

DerekZ

I'm using a Hauppauge HVR-950. Found this thread while searching for a better way to select channels than the way I'm currently using. Since there doesn't seem to be any way at all, below is my tedious way to do it. Also I'm going to explain how it can be used to digitize VHS tapes in case some other poor soul is ever searching how to do this, because it took a while to figure out a working combination.

Setting the channel:
  • Download virtual dub from http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net/ then open the zip folder in Explorer. VirtualDub does not require installation and will run right out of the zip folder without extracting.
  • Exit OBS or anything else that might have the Tuner currently locked.
  • Launch Veedub64.exe then select File --> Capture AVI. (It will lock up for like ~10 seconds as it initializes the tuner).
  • After it initializes the dropdown menu's will change, select Device --> WinTV HVR 950 Capture (Direct Show) or whatever your tuner is.
  • Next select your video source (tuner, composite, s-video) under Video --> Video source --> Video Tuner
  • Now select: Video --> Tuner... which will open a window to configure the channel.
  • Close Veedub64 because it's worthless after that. When recording it fails to properly sync audio and video and you end up with audio that alternates between lagging and leading, so you can't correct it. This is what led me to OBS.
    • You might also be able to select the channel in WinTV if you have it installed. Don't install it if you don't already, it's buggy and worthless. Also it will require a full channel scan taking several hours. VeeDub will let you set the channel and be done with it.
Based on my experience so far, OBS is not practical for watching or recording TV. But it's the only free software I've found that can digitize VHS tapes from a TV Tuner under Windows 10 x64 version 1703 (The creators update). If you want to watch and record TV, the best app for it is still Windows Media Center but you have to hack it into Windows 10. Check out MyDigitalLife thread #61061 for how to do that. Most of what is posted there won't work after Windows 10 Anniversary update and even less after the Creators update. The file that worked for me was called WMC-V8.8.1_x64_by_T-S.7z

Recording from VHS after setting the channel. (plus the settings that work best for me after playing around with it)
  • Launch OBS and remove all Sources and Mixers.
  • From the dropdown menu, select "File --> Settings"
    • Under Output, change Output Mode to Advanced then go to the Recording tab.
      • Only check the first Audio Track checkbox else you will accidentally record computer or mic audio.
      • Here's the format settings I use to convert 2hrs of VHS to slightly less than the size of a single DVD :
        • NVENC H.264 outputting .mkv with a CBR of 4700 under the High Quality preset and Main profile with Two-Pass Encoding checked and 3 B-frames.
        • Audio is 160kbps stereo.
    • Under Video, set the Base and Output resolutions to 720x480 @ 29.97fps. (This is native for VHS, Analog cable, Composite, and S-Video).
    • Under Advanced, set the process priority to Above Normal just in case.
    • Save the settings
  • Click the + sign under Sources and select Video Capture Device.
  • In the window that pops up just hit OK to create a new "Video Capture Device". Name it if you want.
  • In the next window select your TV card should already the the selected Device. Leave all the settings at default/match output.
  • Click the Configure Crossbar button. Then in the Input drop down select between Tuner, Composite, or S-Video. The tuner will be tuned to whatever station you set in VirtualDub.
  • Click Ok, Apply, Save, etc to get back to the main window. Now size the video to fit the Canvas.
  • Don't use the OBS Deinterlacing settings. The NVENC encoder does a better job when you're recording.

How do we we go about getting a channel tuner feature added to OBS?

c3r1c3

That is the main issue here. OBS isn't a TV Tuner program, and doesn't have the tools/stuff to change channels or control those cards in general, or these particular models mentioned at all.

Is it possible to add such? Yes.

Will it be added? Doubt it.

That said OBS is open to pull requests, so if you can code (or know someone who does) it could be added.

You could run the tuner software and then run OBS and have OBS Window/Display capture the Tuner software.

mrfancytophat

Hello, anyone familiar in using OBS with a TV Tuner?
Trying to Record with the program and my TV Tuner but all I get is a black screen video and no sound. Please help.
Would like to know how to scan for channels in the first place from the antenna with the tuner then to be able to choose what station I want to record. Then need to figure out how to use the program to Record it to file. I thought I had it setup correctly but must be missing something or maybe the program isn't supposed to work this way. Thanks

Suggestion: go to goodwill and get an old vcr with tv tuner. Send the signal out with video and audio wires to the tuner. Hope it helps!

Steve Seguin

Suggestion: go to goodwill and get an old vcr with tv tuner. Send the signal out with video and audio wires to the tuner. Hope it helps!
Around 2009, OTA signals switched from analog to digital (ATSC), and with this, old VCR's will only pick up noise these days. Please see https://youtu.be/6twv_kuKfsE?t=345 for an example of one of the last remaining analog broadcasts.

They do sell digital to analog converter boxes that do have a modern TV tuner built in, but you will still need to convert that signal to something the computer can read; cheap RCA to USB 2.0 adapters can be had online in this case. It will be like VGA resolution, but should work like a charm otherwise.

I'm not 100% sure that an HDMI capture device will work given modern DRM, but many of these converter boxes do have HDMI out. An HDMI capture device (ie: elgato camlink) can be had for not too much money these days.

I have a Hauppauge WinTV Tuner and it does not work with OBS at all; doesn't even get listed. If you did get it working, somehow, the device acts as a simple signal pass-thru device, and does not decode the OTA signal itself. I'd assume the driver or OBS would then need to decode both the AC3 audio and the DTV signal before it can be used like a normal capture device. It might even need to handle DRM aspects, if any exists.I don't really see any of that happening unfortunately.

If the provided software for the TV Tuner works, there is always also the option of trying to do a screen capture with OBS? Normally all the functionality you will want is included with the TV tuner's software. (WinTV, for example)

Crystal_619

I'm using a Hauppauge HVR-950. Found this thread while searching for a better way to select channels than the way I'm currently using. Since there doesn't seem to be any way at all, below is my tedious way to do it. Also I'm going to explain how it can be used to digitize VHS tapes in case some other poor soul is ever searching how to do this, because it took a while to figure out a working combination.

Setting the channel:
  • Download virtual dub from http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net/ then open the zip folder in Explorer. VirtualDub does not require installation and will run right out of the zip folder without extracting.
  • Exit OBS or anything else that might have the Tuner currently locked.
  • Launch Veedub64.exe then select File --> Capture AVI. (It will lock up for like ~10 seconds as it initializes the tuner).
  • After it initializes the dropdown menu's will change, select Device --> WinTV HVR 950 Capture (Direct Show) or whatever your tuner is.
  • Next select your video source (tuner, composite, s-video) under Video --> Video source --> Video Tuner
  • Now select: Video --> Tuner... which will open a window to configure the channel.
  • Close Veedub64 because it's worthless after that. When recording it fails to properly sync audio and video and you end up with audio that alternates between lagging and leading, so you can't correct it. This is what led me to OBS.
    • You might also be able to select the channel in WinTV if you have it installed. Don't install it if you don't already, it's buggy and worthless. Also it will require a full channel scan taking several hours. VeeDub will let you set the channel and be done with it.
Based on my experience so far, OBS is not practical for watching or recording TV. But it's the only free software I've found that can digitize VHS tapes from a TV Tuner under Windows 10 x64 version 1703 (The creators update). If you want to watch and record TV, the best app for it is still Windows Media Center but you have to hack it into Windows 10. Check out MyDigitalLife thread #61061 for how to do that. Most of what is posted there won't work after Windows 10 Anniversary update and even less after the Creators update. The file that worked for me was called WMC-V8.8.1_x64_by_T-S.7z

Recording from VHS after setting the channel. (plus the settings that work best for me after playing around with it)
  • Launch OBS and remove all Sources and Mixers.
  • From the dropdown menu, select "File --> Settings"
    • Under Output, change Output Mode to Advanced then go to the Recording tab.
      • Only check the first Audio Track checkbox else you will accidentally record computer or mic audio.
      • Here's the format settings I use to convert 2hrs of VHS to slightly less than the size of a single DVD :
        • NVENC H.264 outputting .mkv with a CBR of 4700 under the High Quality preset and Main profile with Two-Pass Encoding checked and 3 B-frames.
        • Audio is 160kbps stereo.
    • Under Video, set the Base and Output resolutions to 720x480 @ 29.97fps. (This is native for VHS, Analog cable, Composite, and S-Video).
    • Under Advanced, set the process priority to Above Normal just in case.
    • Save the settings
  • Click the + sign under Sources and select Video Capture Device.
  • In the window that pops up just hit OK to create a new "Video Capture Device". Name it if you want.
  • In the next window select your TV card should already the the selected Device. Leave all the settings at default/match output.
  • Click the Configure Crossbar button. Then in the Input drop down select between Tuner, Composite, or S-Video. The tuner will be tuned to whatever station you set in VirtualDub.
  • Click Ok, Apply, Save, etc to get back to the main window. Now size the video to fit the Canvas.
  • Don't use the OBS Deinterlacing settings. The NVENC encoder does a better job when you're recording.

How do we we go about getting a channel tuner feature added to OBS?

Thank you so much! This worked perfectly for me and I was able to use a VCR on Channel 3 with my Hauppauge tuner to record my old home movies to the computer.