How to use OBS to adjust audio for using in Zoom or other Screen Recording?

cekuhnen

Hi all

I am familiar with Audio Hijack on macOS or Voice Meter Banana on Windows but would like to use OBS instead.
Particularly for faculty and departments with low funding (Covid-19) this would be a great cost effective and platform similar approach.

I spent the past few weeks trying to figure out how

• in OBS capture the mic audio
  • adjust it via sound effects (noise gate etc)
  • send the audio to VB virtual cable
  • use that modified audio in Zoom.
But it seems not to work.

This is what I did:
  1. I installed the VB Cable (https://vb-audio.com/Cable/)
  2. I installed OBS
  3. I added an audio input device (mic)
  4. Set the OBS voice meter to VB Virtual cable
  5. Set Zoom / Screencastify (recording) mic to VB cable

could any body help me what I am doing wrong?

I assume with OBS and Virtual Cable the settings in OBS in windows is the same

cavin1323

HI Cekuhnen,

I read your issues about using obs in zoom and I cannot just ignore it and not to write my suggestion.

I actually using the obs now for online church services we have and I will tell you on how did I setup mine.

I know you already know how to install plugins to obs I supposed. So I would like you to download and add the free plugins obs-ndi 4.9.1 (Ubuntu package bugfix) if this is not yet installed to your obs, you can check it to the tools where your Virtual Cam and other tools will be found.

Next, I download the NDI tools from this link -> https://ndi.tv/tools/ for your compatible OS.

Once your all set, follow the below step to setup the obs to zoom conference.

1. Open OBS and find the NDI output settings under the tool tab.
2. Set it to OBS.
3. Open the NDI Tools input and select the name of your PC/computer/laptop as an input.
4. You can set the gain volume of your mic for a better output, and you can also open your NDI monitor to check if your audio is working, however, if the name of the PC is available on the selection in the NDI input it is all good to go!
5. Open your Zoom and in your audio setting select microphone input to NDI
6. And do the audio testing to verify that you have the speakers and the audio input are all set.

I am sorry if my reply is not on details and with all the exact names I will edit this once I reach home and when I am with my laptop, I am writing this now away from my personal computer and without obs, ndi, and obs open in front of me as I am now at work, just wanted to help.

I hope that this would work for you.

-Cavin1323

cekuhnen

Hi Calvin

Thank you for sharing. I struggle with step 3. I do not find an NDI Tools Input

I assume you mean NDI Source? I can find the NDI Output names there
Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 8.19.52 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 8.22.39 AM.png

cavin1323

Hi Cekuhnen,

Sorry to confuse you as I am still at the office and not on my system so I do not have the obs here. however, you hit the correct one it is the NDI source and you unclick the preview output but it is your personal preference though.

Now you can able to see the input source once you open the ndi tools input..

Then proceed to open your Zoom and set your microphone to NDI, and you are all set!

cavin1323

Hi,

Ok here is the settings that I have with the screenshot.

1. Open your Virtual Camera.
1603655801056.png

1603655849557.png

2. Next set you NDI Output settings
1603655875877.png

1603655898634.png

3. I assume that you already installed the NDI tools, so open the Virtual Input.
1603655932782.png

Once you opened the Virtual input then go on to your lower right in the taskbar (this is in a Windows 10 OS), if your using MAC do I have a MAC mini, but I am not using the OBS app there. So you have to figure this out, but in the Virtual Input you have to be able to see that the name of your system and the OBS is selected.
1603655978361.png

1603656022676.png

Or another way around to set this up and this may be helpful to MAC user, again go to the NDI tools and open the Studio Monitor and you can be able to select the name of the device and able to see if the sound is working fine and then you can just close it again.

4. In Zoom, you can now select the OBS virtual cam on your camera selection.

1603656090076.png

5. Then on you audio selection select the Line Newtek NDI audio and bwalah! you can now use OBS in your streaming in Zoom.
1603656141839.png

I hope this could be helpful and hit me up if you have more questions!

-Cavin1323

Attachments

cekuhnen

Very nice - so the NewTek software basically is the rerouting tool for audio and video.

I was mainly looking for just capturing the mic audio adjusting it with filters and then sending it to Zoom or a recording app.

I found out that what I did wrong was having in adv audio settings the monitor and output off.

With it on the mic audio will be looped to my monitor output which is VB Cable.

What you show will be very interesting for faculty who want to use OBS also for recording mixing

cavin1323

Hi,

Yeah I forgot to mention it here as every new media that you will add to obs in default is only in output/and seems muted and you cannot here it from your monitor our device, so you have to click that small gear icon and go to advance and select your desire audio output.

However, as you mentioned that you wanted to capture the audio settings that was adjusted with filters and equalizer you must use the NDI to capture all that and send it to zoom, without using the NDI you are just capturing your desktop audio or the same system that your mic is using without any effects or filter.

I hope this would make sense, as when you click on zoom where the mic selection is you will find the name of your mic or the built in mic system by itself which means that is fully raw audio without the filtering that was applied in your obs settings.

I hope the additional info helps you.

God bless...

-Cavin1323