How to record multiple scenes separately?

Habringer29

Is there any way to make OBS put different scenes to different video tracks at one video? I have a bunch of plug-ins installed all over the screen, but sometimes they get in the way during recording, so I want to be able to remove them on Vegas Pro when it's needed. Is it possible?

koala

OBS isn't able to record different scenes at the same time. If you want to record different scenes at the same time, you can start OBS multiple times and record one scene with each running instance. Live recording multiple video streams in the same video isn't possible at all.

Habringer29

OBS isn't able to record different scenes at the same time. If you want to record different scenes at the same time, you can start OBS multiple times and record one scene with each running instance. Live recording multiple video streams in the same video isn't possible at all.
Yeah, I supposed so, but two OBS clients recording at the same time will require a huge amount of resources. What about object separation to different video tracks, same as audio? Is it possbile?

Last edited:

koala

It's not clear what you mean with "object separation to different video tracks", but keep in mind for computing performance, it's irrelevant if all encoded pixels are in the same track or distributed over multiple tracks. You need a certain (fixed) amount of computing power to read, process and encode one pixel. The more pixels you encode, the more computing power you need. Regardless if these pixels are in one video stream or in multiple streams. It's exactly the same computing power required to encode 2 distinct videos with a 1920x1080 resolution each, or to encode one video with 2 video streams within, each with 1920x1080 pixels. The amount of pixels is identical: 2*1920*1080=4147200 pixels.

Habringer29

It's not clear what you mean with "object separation to different video tracks", but keep in mind for computing performance, it's irrelevant if all encoded pixels are in the same track or distributed over multiple tracks. You need a certain (fixed) amount of computing power to read, process and encode one pixel. The more pixels you encode, the more computing power you need. Regardless if these pixels are in one video stream or in multiple streams. It's exactly the same computing power required to encode 2 distinct videos with a 1920x1080 resolution each, or to encode one video with 2 video streams within, each with 1920x1080 pixels. The amount of pixels is identical: 2*1920*1080=4147200 pixels.
So its impossible to make without using 90% of my GPU then? That's sad.

koala

If you have a Nvidia GPU, you can use the Nvenc hardware encoder, which doesn't stress the CPU at all. That's recommended. If you use x264, you will burn CPU cycles according to the amount of pixels you encode: double the pixels, double the required CPU power.

dethwombat

I know this is a little old, but I'm facing similar issues. I'm trying to record gameplay as well as my face cam with the desire to be able to edit them independently once in my editing software (currently Hitfilm). As of now, I'm running two instances of OBS, but now that I'm playing more recently games (Callisto Protocol) OBS overloads very easily. Even if I dumb down the game graphics to medium and run at 1920x1080, and further lower recording capabilities in OBS, I still get cuts in my film and have to redo a lot of play.

I feel like I'm missing something important. Most of the recent knowledge I've been getting is just using one instance of OBS, but I don't know how I can get separate scenes to work with individually. One person mentioned (if trying to play at 2560x1440) is the record at 5120x1440 in OBS and just crop the scenes out in the editor. Based on a comment made right here on this thread, it sounds like it'd be the same computing power regardless if it was only one instance of OBS.

I just feel stuck - there's so many YouTubers out there recording really high-end videos with only one rig, so I must be missing something.

Tomasz Góral

I know this is a little old, but I'm facing similar issues. I'm trying to record gameplay as well as my face cam with the desire to be able to edit them independently once in my editing software (currently Hitfilm). As of now, I'm running two instances of OBS, but now that I'm playing more recently games (Callisto Protocol) OBS overloads very easily. Even if I dumb down the game graphics to medium and run at 1920x1080, and further lower recording capabilities in OBS, I still get cuts in my film and have to redo a lot of play.

I feel like I'm missing something important. Most of the recent knowledge I've been getting is just using one instance of OBS, but I don't know how I can get separate scenes to work with individually. One person mentioned (if trying to play at 2560x1440) is the record at 5120x1440 in OBS and just crop the scenes out in the editor. Based on a comment made right here on this thread, it sounds like it'd be the same computing power regardless if it was only one instance of OBS.

I just feel stuck - there's so many YouTubers out there recording really high-end videos with only one rig, so I must be missing something.
You can use plugin 'source record' to record selected scene.
To record face - use camera with memory and record on cam separatly.

dethwombat

You can use plugin 'source record' to record selected scene.
To record face - use camera with memory and record on cam separatly.
I was actually just wondering this the other day. I've seen people use cameras as well, but I always figured the cord was running to their PC to harmonize with OBS; maybe not always the case.

I did the Source Record plugin, but it makes a solid green block for my Face record. The fix by having the EXE run in OpenGL and swapping to OpenGL in the renderer fixed it, but when I went to play The Callisto Protocol, the Game Capture windows for it was solid black and only showed up if I changed the Renderer back to Direct3D 11. Of course, that created the green screen for my face cam again.

Seems I can't find a solution to cover them all.

Tomasz Góral

green screen - wrong video memory structure.
opengl - capture only opengl source.
game use directx surface not opengl.

you can use second computer with camera and obs, send video to game computer with face cam.

Algost

I agree, i try last night to setup the source recorder on my Game Scenes which is nested into my game Scene, and i have my overlay recorded, when i reset settings by default sometime i don't have the overlay but it's not encoded with my GPU...

Also when i try to add sound from Track 4 do i need to copy a source ? i just want the audio actually

For me the plugin doesn't work atm, i'm using OBS 28.1.2

MimeSlap

I've tested creating a canvas of 3840 x 1080 and positioning two sources side by side. It seems to work well and keeps everything in sync. You can then modify the video in post without too much effort. I suppose you could create larger canvases to record more inputs, until you run out of bandwidth/cpu/gpu.

Salvinus

Hi, I solved the problem by making two recordings at the same time by creating two different profiles and opening the OBS 30.1.0 program twice, the audio source shared and the virtual camera activated on the first profile. After that I created a video source with "Video Capture Device" and selected OBS Virtual camera as the source. I hope this was helpful in some way to the whole community.