How to prevent Smacking-Sounds via filters?

Valor89

Hello,
I`m using the Razer Seiren Mini-Mic with OBS. The sound is clear but I can`t filter smacking sounds which you just can`t avoid completely while talking.

I tried noise-suppresion but it only has little to none effect.

I also tried keeping more distance between my mouth and the mic and also changing the angle from which I spoke into the microphone.

Nothing helps. People who demonstrated the Razer Seiren on Youtube had no smacking noises in the sound during the test. So anyhow it must be possible to filter them.

Any advice?

Suslik V

If you eliminate every warmness from your voice by filters - it will sound unnatural (from my own experience). Good talking requires practice and training. Some things you can't change because of nature (anatomy of how you hear yourself).

A bit better than built-in filter, was this:

And maybe some "de-click" filters will work better at mouth sounds removal but I didn't see any on this forum.

Valor89

Thank you! I found a de-click filter that worked pretty well. Not for OBS, but for Audacity. I guess it is only about speaking-technique and the later editing.

koala

I practiced speaking by reading text and recording myself, then studying how I sound. I found out I had a strange habit of clicking with my tongue (taught myself to got rid of that), how to keep my voice at the same level (don't really need a compressor filter any more), and how to emphasize better when reading so it sounds lively (useful for every situation where you read text for people).

Filters are for correcting shortcomings of the environment, but the best thing is to speak properly in the first place.