Question / Help How to perform encoding using AMD Graphics Card in OBS Studio?

OBSuser1234

Hello,

I am currently recording using the following settings in OBS:
Recording quality: Idistinguishable
Recording format: MKV
Recording encoder: Software (x264, low cpu usage preset, increased file size)

With these settings, the CPU usage often touches 30-40% mark. Since my machine has an Intel processor with AMD R5 M430 graphics card, I would like to try out encoding using my AMD R5 M430 graphics card. However, in the settings, in the name of hardware encoding, the only option OBS gives me is Hardware (QSV).

As I understand it, QSV is a Intel's hardware encoding method. How can I use my graphics card to perform this encoding? Or is it that using Hardware (QSV) encoder on my machine would make use of the AMD graphics card by its own?

koala

If OBS doesn't offer the AMD hardware encoder, OBS wasn't able to detect it. This may be either because the hardware isn't supporting it, or the graphics driver is outdated. QSV (Quicksync) is completely separate from it. It's present, because your Intel CPU contains a iGPU.

The Quicksync encoder offers a slightly better quality than the AMD encoder, so I recommend you simply use QSV and ignore the absence of the AMD encoder.

OBSuser1234

If OBS doesn't offer the AMD hardware encoder, OBS wasn't able to detect it. This may be either because the hardware isn't supporting it, or the graphics driver is outdated.

@koala
Thanks for the explanation. I updated my graphics driver to the latest Adrenalin edition. But thereafter, OBS refused to start. It started reporting crashes. The logs are similar to what @salmanravoof posted in his thread. (direct link to his logs)

I had to force OBS to use APU instead of AMD GPU by forcing OBS to use Power Saving mode in Radeon Settings (as explained on this page). Since then, it's working fine even though I regret the effort spent in upgrading my Radeon drivers just to witness AMD's VCE in action. :(