How to get rid of Stream lag or why you should try Hashd.tv

Ever since i started streaming i used Own3d.tv and i never had a problem with my stream. My viewers were always able to watch my stream without problems.

When Own3d.tv closed its site , everyone converted to Twitch.tv. Now i read a lot of people reporting similar problems that i have experienced. At first i thought there is something set wrong in my streaming software, then i thought it was on the viewers end.

I went through everything step by step to see where the problem was ,

0 dropped frames on my end
every setting was reasonable with my system
my connection was stable and different speedtests gave me upload speeds of 9.7mb/s (more than enough to stream)
most viewers had sufficient download and should have been able to watch my stream

STILL it lagged and stuttered completely randomly , some days it was fine other days it wasn't.

Then yesterday i came across http://hashd.tv and thought, lets try it. It is still a small streaming site but their layout and design along with a friendly staff (i had a staffmember in my chat asking if everything is ok when i tested it for the first 10 minutes :O ) convinced me pretty fast of my new home. All the stream problems were gone.

Then i tested their servers to see how much data i can push to them , and the result was amazing (i was able to max out my upload). The Stream was super stable and i had 60Fps all the time 57 was the lowest it dropped to.

Test at 9000Bitrate (on twitch anything higher than 4000 lost frames and wasn't stable for me and even when i streamed at 3000 without dropped frames the stream occasionally was lagging for some viewers with sufficient download speeds. so it must be a serverside problem)

[2013-02-26 01:35:42] Initializing connection to server...
[2013-02-26 01:35:42] rtmp://edge-ams1.hashd.tv/live/
[2013-02-26 01:35:42] Trying to stream maximum data rate of 9042 kbps...
[2013-02-26 01:35:42] Initializing transmission to server...
[2013-02-26 01:35:43] Initializing transmission to server... (6%)
[2013-02-26 01:35:44] Initializing transmission to server... (13%)
[2013-02-26 01:35:45] Initializing transmission to server... (20%)
[2013-02-26 01:35:46] Initializing transmission to server... (26%)
[2013-02-26 01:35:47] Initializing transmission to server... (33%)
[2013-02-26 01:35:48] Initializing transmission to server... (40%)
[2013-02-26 01:35:49] Initializing transmission to server... (46%)
[2013-02-26 01:35:50] Initializing transmission to server... (53%)
[2013-02-26 01:35:51] Initializing transmission to server... (60%)
[2013-02-26 01:35:52] Initializing transmission to server... (66%)
[2013-02-26 01:35:53] Initializing transmission to server... (73%)
[2013-02-26 01:35:54] Initializing transmission to server... (80%)
[2013-02-26 01:35:55] Initializing transmission to server... (86%)
[2013-02-26 01:35:56] Initializing transmission to server... (93%)
[2013-02-26 01:35:57] Initializing transmission to server... (100%)
[2013-02-26 01:35:59] Average data rate during 1012 ms: 9022 kbps...
[2013-02-26 01:36:01] Average data rate during 2048 ms: 8970 kbps...
[2013-02-26 01:36:03] Average data rate during 2026 ms: 8990 kbps...
[2013-02-26 01:36:05] Average data rate during 2027 ms: 8933 kbps...
[2013-02-26 01:36:07] Average data rate during 2047 ms: 8996 kbps...
[2013-02-26 01:36:09] Average data rate during 2023 ms: 8974 kbps...
[2013-02-26 01:36:11] Average data rate during 2027 ms: 8917 kbps...
[2013-02-26 01:36:13] Average data rate during 2028 ms: 8996 kbps...
[2013-02-26 01:36:15] Average data rate during 2028 ms: 9012 kbps...
[2013-02-26 01:36:17] Average data rate during 2032 ms: 8964 kbps...
[2013-02-26 01:36:19] Average data rate during 2025 ms: 8980 kbps...
[2013-02-26 01:36:21] Average data rate during 2046 ms: 8994 kbps...
[2013-02-26 01:36:23] Average data rate during 2028 ms: 8944 kbps...
[2013-02-26 01:36:25] Average data rate during 2027 ms: 8980 kbps...
[2013-02-26 01:36:27] Average data rate during 2041 ms: 9029 kbps...
[2013-02-26 01:36:28] Done.
[2013-02-26 01:36:28] Average data rate: 8909 kbps.
[2013-02-26 01:36:28] Dropped frames: 0
[2013-02-26 01:36:28] Your bandwidth to server is sufficient

Their Servers are incredible and people who tried to watch me on Twitch but couldn't, were finally able to watch my stream again. So until Twitch overhauls their overloaded servers i see no point in going back.

Sure you can get partnered and get alternate quality settings , but lets be honest . How are you supposed to get followers to get partnered if your streams stops all the time and you are forced to stream at a low quality 1500Bitrate so people can watch it?

Sure it has also something to do with only a few people streaming on hashd.tv so there is barely any load on their servers. But after seeing how well their site performs , how nice and responsive their staff is , i bet it will only get better. It is up to US to make this site big and have an alternative for us.

Do yourself a favor and make yourself an account there and try it out yourself before everyone does it.

I am not related in any form with the hashd.tv website other than having an account there and being amazed by how good this site is! I am NOT saying Twitch.tv is bad , i like twitch.tv !!! It is just not as satisfying for me, that is MY personal opinion!

dehixem

Re: How to get rid of Stream lag or why you should try Hashd

I'll try it out on my next stream :)
I lately stopped using xsplit anyways, so I'm all okay with discovering new stuff :)
Thanks for the share :)

Edit : Tried it out today, viewers said the stream was very fluid with no lag ever :)

moraldino

Hashd.tv seems nice except for the watermark you get up in the right corner of your videos.

katz9r

Hmm I tried it yesterday. NL Server and 3500 kbit bitrate, as I am used to on twitch. Results were horrible. Constant frame dropping and max bitrate shown in OBS was around 1800. Dunno if I just had bad luck or something else, but I stopped streaming after 10 minutes.
Should I give it another try on a different day?

Yes you should definitely try it again , just make sure to make a speedtest before you start streaming to be sure that there are no hidden backgroundupdates running and to see how much you can push to the server. Me and 6 friends all had no trouble yet , we are all pretty satisfied and try to support hashd as much as we can so this site can grow big and we have an alternative to twitch (especially when they are streaming big Lol tournaments). Also make sure to use a real speedtest like , http://testmy.net since other speedtest does not seem to be very accurate . Good luck!

Smoky

Hi there,

I changed to hashd, too and I'm also pretty amazed. There is just one point I couldn't figure out, yet ... is there any way to use the chat with an IRC client like the twitch one? I don't like to have the dashboard open on my second screen, I'm simply used to chat with irc and would really love to be able to go on like this.

Edit: Nevermind - just found the changelog for hashd http://blog.hashd.tv/ - they're currently working on implementing irc :))

Silvygaming

I've read about Hashd.tv and while I would love to swap over, there simply aren't enough viewers on Hashd just yet.

Triksterism

I'm having ridiculous trouble with Twitch recently. Half of my viewers are reporting lag (when they had non less than a week ago with zero changes on my end and NO dropped frames). When testing on my Hashd account there were zero problems, ran smooth as silk.

I would like to swap over but I would miss the following:

> YouTube integration (for easy highlight uploading)
> IRC (I know they are working on it, but I don't have 2 screens so IRC + Overwolf is my only option)
> HTML support for bio display (My donate button! QQ!)
> Can you make highlights on Hashd? :<

I spoke to someone from their staff and he told me that depending on how successful the site will become they are planning on implementing new features and adding more servers in different regions. It is up to US to make this site big . They are currently still in beta stage so i would expect A LOT to change (being optimized / implemented).

Hawksster

I just created an account and tried Hashd.tv. The experience was horrible. I kept my setting the same ad I do on Twitch (9k bitrate, 9k buffer) & I had 30-40% dropped frames with a max FPS of 30. Hashd would limit me to 3-4k bitrate. The video was not even recognizable until I was stopped for 1 minute. I then tried to adjust settings to reduce quality for performance & results were still very bad.

So sorry, as of now this site is nowhere near capable of provide the high quality service you are stating, at least for me that is.

ball2hi

I tried this out and while the layout was great and liked the idea of having individual channels for specific games n such, ect. Your own name, w/e. It's just too deserted to be any good. Looking at the website right now (as of this post) there is only 1 viewer out of 4 livestreams. That's way too little for someone as new to streaming as myself.

Hawksster said:
I just created an account and tried Hashd.tv. The experience was horrible. I kept my setting the same ad I do on Twitch (9k bitrate, 9k buffer) & I had 30-40% dropped frames with a max FPS of 30. Hashd would limit me to 3-4k bitrate. The video was not even recognizable until I was stopped for 1 minute. I then tried to adjust settings to reduce quality for performance & results were still very bad.

So sorry, as of now this site is nowhere near capable of provide the high quality service you are stating, at least for me that is.

Could you post your Twitch and hashd.tv account along with a logfile from obs and a speedtest result from testmynet or a similar website? I might be able to help you!

ball2hi said:
I tried this out and while the layout was great and liked the idea of having individual channels for specific games n such, ect. Your own name, w/e. It's just too deserted to be any good. Looking at the website right now (as of this post) there is only 1 viewer out of 4 livestreams. That's way too little for someone as new to streaming as myself.

Yea that is one of the problems , this site is pretty new and there are barely any people around because everyone sticks to twitch. Most poeple don't like to try new stuff , they rather stick to their old known things and keep complaining about them.

ball2hi

Dariofubar said:
Yea that is one of the problems , this site is pretty new and there are barely any people around because everyone sticks to twitch. Most poeple don't like to try new stuff , they rather stick to their old known things and keep complaining about them.
I love to try new things, and would love to support this website. Unfortunately though, the only viewers I get are from Twitch's channel advertisement. So moving over to this site (Which seems better with the exception that VODs aren't generated instantly) would pretty much nullify any viewers I get.

ball2hi

I have began running into the issue that was mentioned in the original post about streams stuttering/freezing. I have been getting complaints by viewers that my stream stutters/freezes for some of them. Even when I try to rewatch my own past broadcasts/highlights the video freezes every 5 sec to buffer the next 5 sec.

I really do wish this streaming service was more popular. Checking right now again at peak-time there is 12 livestreams but among all of them there is only 1 viewer.

n00pe

I've noticed they made some changes on their website. What I'm most happy about is the new player and removal of Hashd.tv watermark.

New Infrastructure

We’ve added new servers for the website as well as new streaming servers. We now have a capacity of 55 Gigabit on our own, which equals around 27,500 concurrent viewers at a bitrate of 2000. If our servers are full, the system automatically uses an external CDN so the viewers will have a lag-free watching experience

They should get more popular..

Website Update – 09/05/2013 [UPDATE]

Jack0r

The Helping Squad

I actually see this as a very desperate move to get more streamers. But the real misconception is that streamers bring in viewers. This might be true for old established ones, but how many of them will turn their back on twitch and similar services unless they had problems with them?
At the moment they have to pay for systems that can support 27500 viewers at 2000 bitrate, while they dont even have 10 viewers on all channels together, at the time of writing this.

ball2hi

I like the new changes, and really want to make the switch so that I can stream my content how I want. Unfortunately though, as Jack0r said. Unless you're an established streamer, your viewers won't follow. If anything, viewers bring more streamers. I don't get any viewers on Hashd.tv at the time(s) I was streaming there so that's very little incentive for me to stay there.

Yep , that indeed is a problem. I still use Twitch , despite it performing like crap. But people love it (man, i miss own3d.tv). But whenever i stream for friends and want perfectly quality without any problems i stream for them on hashd. Only time will tell if this site gets bigger. It is like a vicious circle , no viewers , no streamers and the other way around.