Question / Help How to get out of full screen

Richard Koepsel

Hello, I am a newbie to OBS and my question is very simple. Some how I managed to get OBS in full screen mode when all I want is to occupy a quarter of the screen. No matter what I do I cannot reduce the screen size.
I have tried Youtube and other sources to no avail. I am on a Mac running 10.12.4 with a simple Apple mouse
with only one click. I know this is embarrassingly simple but I can't afford to put more hours into this. Thank
You. R

Narcogen

It doesn't work f11 changes the sound volume, any other ideas?

If f11 changes volume then you're using the hardware key and not the function key.

Either hold fn while pressing f11 or change the preferences in the Keyboard preference pane to use function keys always as function keys.

Richard Koepsel

I have tried holding the fn key while pressing f11 it doesn't change the audio but it also doesn't get me out of
full screen mode either.
I have also tried changing the preferences to change the function keys to always be function keys which works
as it should but doesn't get me out of full screen mode either.
Even a uninstall and reinstall doesn't get me out of full screen and is with clearing everything in
~library/application-support

I am exasperated after many hours with no success. I will appreciate any help of any kind. Thank you

Richard Koepsel

I am not sure I know what you are saying but this is total "full screen". There is no menu bar so there is no
red, yellow and green button and no "file Edit View History . . . ." There is nothing but OBS screen which is so
frustrating. I am using a simple Apple mouse so there is no right click. I have gone through all of the OBS
settings and I have scanned the .pdf manual for OBS. I have tried all of the Function keys in function mode.
I hate to think of trying all of the possible key combinations using "shift" "option" "control" and "command"
because that might take many hours. I am at a loss for what to do. Thank you for the ideas you have shared and
may still offer. Richard

Narcogen

How did you get into such a mode which does not appear to exist in my copy of OBS?

For me to enter full screen mode in OBS I press F11, choose "Full Screen Interface" from the View menu, or click the green full screen widget in the left hand corner of the window. In all of these modes, pushing the cursor to the top-most edge of the screen causes the menu bar to appear.

The only anomaly I've noticed is that intiating this by pressing f11 seems to put the full screen OBS interface in a different space than the other methods.

Narcogen

Also, check the Mouse preference in System Preferences. Apple hasn't sold a true "one button mouse" in a long time. If you've got a magic mouse or a mighty mouse, the right and left sides of the mouse can register different clicks, it just has to be configured that way. If the mouse you have is not one of those, then MacOS can be configured to recognize a control-click as a right click.

Richard Koepsel

Thank you for your help only part of which was helpful. It helped me to get a sustained right click which opened
a menu. However there was nothing in the menu to exit full screen. It has been several days of struggling and
I am a newbie so I am not sure how I got into such a state, I think it was the widget because everything is in
out-of-the-box vanilla mode and I have only done simple vanilla things.

This is a 2017 iMac with a "Retina 4k 21.5" screen. Perhaps the screen is smaller than OBS is expecting.
If so, there is a "Preview Scaling" option set to "Scale to Window" but there are also 1280x720 and 1024x576
options. There is also a "Full screen projection preview" set at Display 0: 2048x1152 @0,0 but I hesitate to
mess with anything being in the dark as I am.

I am grateful for any suggestions you might have. At this point I am afraid to try any exotic things on my own
let I get into deeper trouble.

Perhaps you can tell me all of the items I need to delete to uninstall this software so I can try again. As it is,
I am missing something because a reinstall puts me in the exact same state when I bring OBS up.

Narcogen

Delete:

~/Library/Application Support/obs-studio

You will lose any profiles and scenes and will have to set up OBS Studio from scratch.

Richard Koepsel

I am totally exasperated and don't know what to do. I used one of those uninstallers that gets rid of every
reference to an app in the system. I then download the latest OBS and when I bring it up, I am right back
where I was before the uninstall. Is there anything I can do? I have to be ready for streaming in several days
and I don't know if I will be ready. Thank you.

Richard Koepsel

This is finally how I was able to get a fresh restart. I tried three different uninstallers and did some manual file
removal and the third uninstaller found some files that the others hadn't found and that cleared it. I am going
to do a trial run tomorrow when my head is clear. I will never ever try full screen mode again because it is
unnecessary for what I do. Thank you for all of your patience and help. The problem is still not solved but I
don't care. Richard

Richard Koepsel

A trial run at streaming checked out so this question can be considered closed. If you are interested I did not
get into that strange full screen mode via the green button on the menu bar. I got there from somewhere in
OBS itself. If I ever come across the sequence again, I will post it. Thank you to everyone who helped me in my
desperation, you have no idea of what it meant to me when I felt alone and helpless. Richard

supernova

Hello, I am a newbie to OBS and my question is very simple. Some how I managed to get OBS in full screen mode when all I want is to occupy a quarter of the screen. No matter what I do I cannot reduce the screen size.
I have tried Youtube and other sources to no avail. I am on a Mac running 10.12.4 with a simple Apple mouse
with only one click. I know this is embarrassingly simple but I can't afford to put more hours into this. Thank
You. R

Have you found a fix? i have the same issue. On my Macbook Pro, all i have to do was scroll all the way up to the top screen and OBS tool bar appears giving me options and thats how i exited. But on my Mac Mini at home, i scroll all the way up and the OBS tool bar doesn't come up, thats why i couldn't exit, weird how it works on mackbook pro and not on mac mini. Anyways if you found the fix please let me know.

FreeKillZero

The Green button with the triangles in the upper left corner is macOS' "Full Screen" button, as opposed to the red Close "X" and the yellow Minimize to Dock "–" buttons. This is the same for any program, including OBS.

I just tried this on my OBS. Clicking the Green Full Screen button will indeed make OBS go full screen. However, OBS does not seem to respond to F11/fn-F11 button presses to exit full screen.

The way to get out is to move your mouse cursor all the way to the top of the screen, wait for the menu bars to pop down, then press the Green button in the upper left again, which should return to windowed mode.

macOS remembers window size/position, so removing OBS Preference/Application Support files won't return to windowed mode.

therealbrad

I struggled for a while with this. I finally figured out that you have to press Function+Ctrl+F2. This forces the menu bar to re-appear at the top of the screen. From there you can choose View>Exit Full Screen.

jshrek

I was stuck in Fullscreen Interface mode for a while as well on my MAC and finally realized that if I move the mouse all the way to the top of the screen, the menu bar will drop down and then I can select VIEW and select FULLSCREEN INTERFACE again and it will take me out of fullscreen mode.

Although on the Mac in the menu it says that F11 is supposed to be for Fullscreen Interface mode in OBS, it does not work... clicking on F11 usually adjusts volume on Mac and holding down function FN+F11 on the Mac does not enter Fullscreen Interface or exit Fullscreen interface mode.