Question / Help How to fix NDI OBS high ping

Konani

Hello.
At the begining i'd like to say sorry for my Engish.

Well. I'd like to play at gaming PC and stream gaming from my Laptop. My gaming pc and laptop are both connected via LAN cable to Router and internet is connected from high speed modem to WLAN in router.
Everyting looks cool at laptop, no lag, low ping etc, but at my gaming pc ping from 15ms going to 300ms when NDi output is ON.
-Sending data from gaming PC to laptop takes 96Mb/s with 300ms ping
-Receving data fat Laptop takes 98mb/s with 20-30ms

I can't play with 300ms. I have even try turn internet connection at Laptop to Wifi with hope lose some latency at gaming PC
Anyone could help me with this issue???

- I using lastest drivers for LAN ( gaming PC have 1Gb(2,5G) , and Laptop 100mb/s)
- OBS version 25.0.8 (64bit)
- Windows 10 (64bit)

Konani

At both Pc's? or just at this one what is sending data to other pc?

I have Realtek 8111H Gigabit LAN
Laptop have Atheros AR8162 10/100 and it can't go faster with lastest drivers :(

Last edited:

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
All PCs involved need to be gigabit. Unfortunately if you only have a 100mbps interface you will need to greatly drop the resolution / FPS to enable NDI to work under those constraints.

qhobbes

If your laptop has USB 3.0 or greater, try getting a USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet adapter. Here's one for $15 + shipping (as long as your laptop is not a Lenovo Yoga 2/3).

SoCanadianGamer

You didn't mention this but, ensure to go into your networks adapter settings and make sure everything is set to the highest it can go (1gbps). I have done quite alot of tweaking with NDI and 1gbps with quality cables is a base requirement. It might work on less however it's only a matter of time before you have a problem.

Konani

But this is wierd.
At high speed Lan on my gaming PC i getting high ping while sending data. It's 10% Lan usage ,but my old laptop with 100mb/s in the same network, ping is playable ~20ms while receving data with the same speed but 100% Lan usage

@SoCanadianGamer
I using upLink 1Gigabit router, there is everything ok, but i found in advanced settings in router something like "doubling ports" I had to try this ;)
Mirror port is set to LAN1 - it's Gaming PC port
and Source port is set to LAN2 - its connected to Laptop

Now everything looks ok 17-30 ms ping at both pc's even data goes lower from 95mb/s to 40-56Mb/s but then I start a game ping going up to 300ms again and sending data going up from 56Mb/s to 90mb/s. It's 30mb/s differance and ping jump so high from 17 to 300?
I think this is not my problem but NDI driver

Last edited:

carlmmii

Once you're in game and you have an image that's actually changing, that requires a lot more data to compress down (moving pictures take a lot more space than a static desktop). This means it's going to be a much bigger data stream that NDI has to use.

Your ping is most likely the result of your router having to handle all of the extra NDI traffic. If your router has the option for packet prioritization, you could try enabling it. Otherwise, your only real option would be to replace your router, or try a direct connection between your laptop and PC using your LAN2 port (essentially using your computer as a subnet, keeping all NDI traffic off of the main network).

Konani

How can I direct connect my gaming pc and laptop to LAN 2 if I have 1 LAN port?
I have tryed with mirroring port in router setting but this doesn't work

Maybe i don't understand.
Already I have connected

Modem>WLAN
LAN1> Gaming PC
LAN2> Laptop

When I try to connect Gaming PC to laptop direcly i 'll not be able to connect internet to my Gaming Pc :(
Maybe second Gigabit Lan card connected to PCI- Express could solve this ?
1st card for internet and 2nd bridged connected to Laptop?

Konani

@edit
Past 3 month earlier i was streaming from this laptop , games from xbox without any problem at 1080p using xbox aplication on my laptop. This method using wifi conection and xbox was connected direcly to LAN.

Is there any other method to stream from my gaming PC without capture card?