How to exclude any Audio off your Stream using the Stereomix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
This guide is now out of date, please check the ressource:
Exclude Audio sources off your stream or recording
Latest version of this Guide can be found here or here.[/B]

This is a rework of my older guide: How to exclude any Audio off your stream? Now split into two seperate guides. You are reading:
Not using a Realtek or VIA Audio Chip? Check:

First of all, lets see what you want to achieve. You want to stream or record your favourite Game while having a Skype Conversation going on or talking to your friends in Teamspeak? Or maybe just listen to Music but don´t bore your viewers with it.

To achieve this we need three things:
  • an onboard Sound Chip that can split its front and back audio ports into seperate Channels
    OR a secondary Soundcard
  • a working Stereo Mixer (installed with the drivers of the soundchip or soundcard)
  • Windows 7 or a similar OS that has the "Listen to" function
If your setup lacks one or more of the above mentioned things, please check Guide 2.

First of all we need to make sure the Front and Back Audio Ports of your Soundcard are split:
(Using a second soundcard? You can go to the next Step)

VIA Control Panel (might look different on your system)

Realtek Control Panel (ASUS style, might look different on your system)

Next we want to make sure you can see all Audio devices in your Windows System. So please open the control panel and then the Sound options:

For the moment we want to see all disabled and disconnected Devices. Later on you can deactivate both checkmarks. Similar to my example picture you should have a 2nd output device (Realtek or VIA) that might be disabled at the moment, please enable it. If your using the 2 soundcard setup, both activate both if one is deactivated. You can also deactivate those devices you wont be using anyway. In my case I disabled the Digital Output and the SPDIF Output.

Now lets switch to the Recording tab, activate the Stereomix if it is disabled. On some driver/chip versions it can be necessary to make the Stereomix the default device. Easiest way to test this is to play some music through your Main Speakers (check the Playback tab to check the correct Output is selected, the Stereomix will receive the Audio of the primary Input of the same soundchip, in my case the Speaker Realtek High Definition Audio) and then watch the Stereomix volume indicator:

(If the playback volume indicator shows green lines but the Stereomix doesnt, check the Volume of the Stereomix, select its properties and the Levels tab, put its Volume up to 100%. Still no volume indicator movement? Set the Stereomix to be the Default Device)

Stereomix still not working? Sorry, then you have to google or check Guide 2 and use Virtual Audio cable.

Assuming the Stereomix is working fine we can now activate its "Listen to" feature and send our Audio to our Headset. At this point the setup differs a bit, you either way have to select your Secondary Output. Let it be the secondary Soundcard(for example USB PnP Sound Device) or the split Output of your Soundchip(for example Realtek HD Output 2nd Output).

• Assuming you use a normal Headset, connect it to the front-connectors of your Case (if you dont use them already) and select the Realtek HD Audio 2nd output, you should now hear music on your headset while you still play it through your Speakers (1st output). Sometimes the Windows Listen to feature needs one reboot to work, but in most cases this wasn´t necessary.
  • Assuming you use an USB Headset, select it in the dropdown, in my Case its called Lautsprecher (USB PnP Sound Device). Again you should now hear music on your headset while you still play it through your Speakers (1st output). Sometimes the Windows Listen to feature needs one reboot to work, but in most cases this wasn´t necessary.

Now we are ready to exclude sound off our stream. Remember most streaming software hooks to your Windows Standard Audio Device and records this sound, and nothing else. This means, in Teamspeak/Mumble/Skype for example you can select your 2nd Output/USB Headset as the desired output device. XSplit/OBS/FFSplit wont pick up your mates talking anymore. Foobar/Winamp and most Video players offer the option to choose the output as well.

Teamspeak example

Foobar example

Media Player Classic example

You wont be able to exclude Browser sounds for example Grooveshark or Spotify, at least not with some work. For this final peace of complete freedom you will either need an external Mixer or use Virtual Audio Cable.

As always, please comment and ask questions if you have some!

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
Re: How to exclude any Audio off your Stream using the Stere

Thanks for mentioning, I didnt have time to check all my posts yet, this one is now updated.
(Blogger killed my image links one month ago and I had to manually reupload and add all of them)

And by the way, V3 of this guide is online on my blog:
http://blog.hemp-society.de/2013/09/how ... am-v3.html

Keota

Hi there,

Having a weird issue trying to use this method. When using the Redirected Headphone option in my VIA Audio Chip settings the front jack works fine but the minute I change it to Independent Headphone the front jack doesn't work at all. Test sounds just don't play through it no matter the default playback settings. I've tried the back jack for the Speakers playback device and that still works fine, I'm at a bit of a loss as to what's going on. Any ideas?

Thanks for the guide btw, hopefully I can get this working :)

Jack0r

The Helping Squad

Hmm, I had to search google a bit and found one topic speaking of the exact same problem:
http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/ ... und-2.html
At the end of this page the user mentions he had to revert to an older VIA driver as the latest ones back then had this bug you are also experiencing. The last time I used my via chip (its in an older PC) it was working fine, so I would recommend to check if you can get newer drivers or even as in the example topic, older ones.

okaydanny

Thank you for this guide but i do have a question.

I have a realtek audio device and a g930 USB headset.

I prefer using my speakers for everything, but i do want to exclude my teamspeak while i still hear it via my speakers.
So for instance, i would like my soundcard to listen to the g930. So i can set my teamspeak to my realtek, and everything else to my g930, so i can set my stream software to use the g930.

Now i only have to figure out how to make my soundcard "Listen" to the G930 ( So i can hear my music / gamesound via my speakers along with TS) Is this possible?

Jack0r

The Helping Squad

Hmm the easiest way to do this would be to setup a VB-Cable or VAC Line to receive your game/music sound, you can forward this using the "listen to" function to your realtek soundcard and then use the stereomix to forward it to your headset. In OBS you would then select vb-cable/vac as your desktop device and you set teamspeak to output to your speakers.
That way speakers and headset will get your Teamspeak sound (you can also get teamspeak just on the headset of course) and also game/music while OBS will only hear game/music.

carlhighness

Hi, thanks for the guide! It all works fine, except for one little (big) problem:
When I have the speakers and headphones play the sound simultaneously, I can hear that the sound on the headphones is about 1/8 of a second delayed, even when not recording.
Do you know of any solution to this?
Thanks!

Edit: sound chip is to weak. :/ (Solved)

Jack0r

The Helping Squad

Ah you were able to fix it? Can you tell us a bit more what you did, "Sound chip is too weak"? :)

LionNez

Hey Jack0r thanks for this Guide helped me alot. I just got one issue

I made it to exclude teamspeak of my streaming, but I still want to capure my own microphone in stream. <- How can I make that work? Is it possible with Stereomix or do I need VAC?

Thanks!

edit: I can use the sound capturing of my webcam but that's not a good solution since I can't mute when I need to.

Jack0r

The Helping Squad

Oh you can normally select your microphone in OBS as usual. Just make sure as your desktop audio device is the correct device selected (for example the Realtek Speakers in my guide) that is not receiving your teamspeak and for auxillary select the microphone.

LionNez

Hey Jack0r I was able to fix the previous problem but now I'm trying to solve another issue: I want to stream my music while gaming, but I myself don't want to hear the music.. it seemed easy to me thinking I can set the speakers as the playing device in my media but whatever I try I'm still able to hear it on my headphones xD

is it possible to exclude the music in my headphones while using stereomix and the listening function? What media player should I use for it. Somehow I'm losing the "überblick" ^^

Btw ty for your awesome work & help, I appreciate it alot!

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
I currently use foobar and output the music to its own VAC Line. This can then be added with the DShow Audio Plugin to OBS. Which also means, you can only add it to one scene, and not the other. So music is only activate on scenes you want it to :)
Some people recently had problems with this, but I couldnt find a reason and only sometimes reproduce it. Normally it works just perfect.

https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/include-audio-sources-into-your-stream-or-recording.9/

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
In setups where you only need one cable you can use VB-cable instead of VAC. Although I have to add, the most simple version of VAC (without support) costs about 25€ I think, so not too much :)

Status
Not open for further replies.