How to change recovery time of bitrate when "Dynamically change bitrate to manage congestion" is enabled

Psymon

Hey Folks,

Thank you for all your hard work on developing OBS! I have been using it to stream our church services every weeks since covid hit. Due to our location our internet speed is horrible via hard wire land line. We have been connecting to the internet via cellular hub to enable a moderate upload speed (~2500 kbps), this hasn't had the best stability as you can imagine. Recently we were able to get a Starlink system installed which has been great but it will disconnect about every 15-20min for a very short time (40-200ms, presumably when switching satellites?) and doesn't have the best latency stability either.

Generally I am really happy with the performance as long as the "Dynamically change bitrate...." is enabled however about 3-4 times a stream the algorithm will drop the bit rate down to something terrible like 400 kpbs during the drop event of Starlink and then takes ~5-10min to recover back to the original CBR setpoint. I know from logs that the Starlink speeds can support nearly the full bitrate again within ~1 sec of the drop starting.

I've taken a quick look but can't find the relevant section in code where the recovery rate of the bitrate is set, could someone point me in the right direction? Ideally another parameter in the advanced setting could be added such as a "Bitrate recovery speed"? Im thinking I'll just try a local compiled "custom" obs version to see if I can get better performance since I'm okay in C and C++ but don't think I would trust my coding skills to a real release without some proper review.

Thanks,