Question / Help How to capture desktop or application audio on Mac

jasonbain

There is a paid program called Loopback that will allow you to easily route any audio source to an output that OBS can use. For my purposes I am routing a presentation software Proclaim to OBS where I need to capture both the presentation windows but also the audio from the media files. Loopback makes this super easy in the same way iShowU audio does but with a really great interface and full control over the levels. I found that when using iShowU I no longer had control over my Mac speakers. With Loopback I can setup a simple audio flow and still use my mac speakers in the normal way. Loopback solved my issue with a super easy to use program. Loopback also has a trial version. So you can test it out before you buy it. I wish I would have gone this route before messing with iShowU for hours and being ultimately frustrated. I think Lookback is worth every dollar I spent on it. Try it for yourself and see if it works for you.

Here is my simple setup and it works amazing.
Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 2.55.26 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 2.58.42 PM.jpg

And I can leave my default output my laptop speakers with full control of their levels.
Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 3.00.02 PM.jpg

I hope this post saves someone the hours of frustration I had trying to get this to work properly.

sirako

I'm using soundflower and it works perfectly, I added multioutput devices to monitor my audio using audio midi settings, really easy and happy to help if u have any questions

tom_ftw

There's a few solutions for virtual audio busses. Soundflower is the predecessor of Loopback and it's free, but not supported anymore. I'm using it for the past 10 years or so and it only crashed once (2nd time I tested prior a stream). There's also blackhole that is also free and supported.

djpumayang

I'm using soundflower and it works perfectly, I added multioutput devices to monitor my audio using audio midi settings, really easy and happy to help if u have any questions
good afternoon, whilst i am not sure the poster needs any advice, i would like to see your settings. i am trying to route the output of a djm-v10 and having a right drama. attached a picture of my audio settings.
regards and stay safe

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-04-29 at 17.57.25.png
    Screenshot 2020-04-29 at 17.57.25.png
    202.8 KB · Views: 451

DJJustinLuger

Has anyone used Loopback successfully with Traktor (either Scratch Pro 2 or Pro 3) with external timecode and gotten all audio to OBS under full timecode control? I have an unusual setup by today's standards with a MacBook Pro connected via thunderbolt/firewire adaptor into my Ecler Evo 5 mixer, which is Traktor Certified with a built in sound. The firewire connection is al that's needed to interface. The issue is the only way I can get Traktor to recognize my timecode in the CDJs is to set the main Audio tab to "Evo 5". if I select Loopback Audio, I can get sound into OBS, but I lose the external timecode control.
Has anyone faced something similar? I've tried all the possible options (iShowU, Blackhole, etc.). I've gotten the furthest with Loopback but it's still not letting me have timecode control with Audio into OBS for DJ streaming.

Attached are screen shots of my settings where audio does come through to OBS but at a total loss of timecode external control.

Hope someone can help.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 3.44.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 3.44.30 PM.png
    747.5 KB · Views: 281
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 3.47.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 3.47.28 PM.png
    992.9 KB · Views: 280
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 3.44.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 3.44.35 PM.png
    769.9 KB · Views: 239