Question / Help How to add H265 HEVC?

Semel

Sorry, i was blind. There was scrolling and i didn't see HEVC.

I don't see any hevc on my gtx 1060 in OBS I can use nvenc hevc for recording via bandicam and for encoding files via staxrip tool. So it works.

I only have nvenc h264 available in OBS.

Why doesn't OBS show hevc for nvidia gpus?

Fenrir

Forum Admin
I don't see any hevc on my gtx 1060 in OBS I can use nvenc hevc for recording via bandicam and for encoding files via staxrip tool. So it works.

I only have nvenc h264 available in OBS.

Why doesn't OBS show hevc for nvidia gpus?

You need to use Custom FFmpeg output, it is not supported otherwise.

realzoro

Hello,
why does OBS support HEVC for recording, but not for streaming?
Im quite new to all of this video encoding stuff and wow this is really overwhelming me. This is why i would really appreciate any thoughts on this.

Theory:
x265/h.265 is not support by Twitch / most devices, so OBS doesnt need it.
But incase of a 2 pc streaming setup the latest ffmpeg on encoding pc should support HEVC input and can make out of this a x264 twitch format?
So my thoughts are that, i should be able to use HEVC for streaming to 2nd pc to have better quality/performance and less performance impact while gaming.
Another thing: is there any way right now to somehow make the 2nd pc make use out of the HEVC recording to "live" reencode it?

I think you guys know by reading this, that I dont really understand these things at all. But I would like to :D .

Thanks in advance for anything that could help me.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
HEVC is not supported by anyone for streaming, it's not really a viable option there. It's kind of pointless for live encoding as well, as you don't really get any benefits from it compared to x264.

Boildown

I'd say there's a bit of a chicken and egg thing going on here. With OBS being the most popular streaming software, maybe H.265 streaming will be supported by more places once OBS is able to deliver it.

adamhuman

H.265 is able to give you higher quality stream without consuming alot of upload speed spsly for the ppl who dont have high upload speed available in their countries or they cant pay for it

for me the highest upload speed in my country u can get "if u use the the fiber cables which is cost more money" is ( 1.5 mbps ) at max
so streaming with H.265 is necessary to serve 720p quality at least

Live Streaming Upload Speeds.png

TryHD

So @adamhuman do you use H.265 for streaming to Twitch or YouTube? If yes what are you thoughts about it? Could link any clip streamed with H.265?
this is impossible, RTMP doesn't support H265, browser don't have a decoder for it. Conclusion H265 is completely irrelevant for streaming and will never get relevant.
AV1 will be the next big thing that will get actual adoption.

popek069

But why doesn't OBS support hevc nvenc only for recording without custom output? It gives better quality than h264 and will be useful for recording. I would record using ffmpeg but it can't record 2 audio tracks.

koala

The quality/size ratio is better for hevc. Smaller files with same quality is equivalent to same file size with better quality. If you let hevc produce the same file size as h.264, you get better quality.