Question / Help How do you make duplicate scenes/sources independent of originals?

Egobyte83

In OBS Studio, is there a way to duplicate a source and then adjust the new source without that adjustment affecting the original?

(Also, it should be noted that I seem to be unable to actually make what is called a "Duplicate" in the right-click menu.. whenever I copy+paste a source, I can only paste a "reference"; the "duplicate" entry is greyed out for whatever reason)

See, I have a problem where I realized a little too late that 1080p was probably not the way to go after all and so I wanted to adjust the output, but I also kind of feel like I want to keep a 1080p-profile for whatever purpose, not abandoning everything that I have painstakingly set in place.

So I figured I could just duplicate the profile and then adjust the scenes and everything else in the new profile, resizing them to the new output while leaving the other profile as it was. However, when trying that, I discovered that it adjusted the original sources as well.

The problem is I have a lot of sources in those scenes made for 1080p and if I adjust the output to 720p in that particular profile, it makes everything in the scene blow up out of proportion so that a lot of the sources end up off-screen.
I suppose I could just try to re-create the exact same sources anew and give them another name which would make them distinct from the original sources, but that would be exceedingly tedious. I have to ask if there is a better way.

Btw, I should probably explain that I did stream in 720p before and had it set to downscale from my native resolution. However, downscaling from my native resolution, which is 1440p, to 720p made smaller details (and especially small text) in my stream really blurry and unreadable as it became extremely pixelated, that's why I switched over to 1080p to begin with, hoping that the jump from 1440p to 1080p rather than 720p would make a difference, which it did. But now, your standard lag and buffering have become a problem, so I figured I should probably try to go back anyway and leave the small text blurry.

Egobyte83

Oh, I was on the profile menu instead. :O I'm going to have to try that over the weekend.

Also, I should probably clarify that when I said that I was downscaling I meant that in the Video Settings I had the "base canvas resolution" as 1440p (my monitor's native resolution) and the "scaled output resolution" set to 1080p. The optional checkbox to downscale on the streaming tab in the Encoder Settings is left unchecked. Don't really know the difference between the two. I keep thinking that I don't know whether quality comes from the change in downscaling difference from 1440p > 720p to 1440p > 1080p or if it was just the fact that I switched from 720p to 1080p period.

Another question I wanted to ask. I am currently streaming at 60 fps. Would I see improvement if I switch to 30 fps? At least where the stuttering framerate is concerned, I mean. Would gameplay be more fluid?

Btw, just realized I could post a link to the video where this problem is the most pronounced.
Take a look if you want.

CLICK HERE to see the recorded video. The stream stuttered really badly during the first half of the video, at least during gameplay, but then eased up a little bit when I turned off secondary programs such as the morphvox and the smoke-source overlay on the webcam. It remained a minor issue though and I would like to know if there is any way to improve it to be more smooth.

I am running x264 CBR at 4500 bitrate with high profile.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 Skylake 3.40 Ghz
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 TURBO 8Gb

NoobsGameToo

So was this ever really answered? Cause when you guys got technical stuff started going over my head, but I don't think it was.

If you duplicate a profile, it makes sense that both are identical. That's the point of the duplication. But it makes no sense that they're MIRRORED.
If you make changes to one, changes shouldn't apply to the other. So... how do you unmirror Profiles?

Suslik V

@NoobsGameToo probably you trying to change settings that is Source oriented (sound source, video source etc.) and stored in Scene Collection instead. So, usually, when switching Profile switch Scene Collection too.