How do you lower the frames missed due to rendering lag and, specifically, skipped frames due to encoding lag?

Ttaunt

It's really high for me and I usually play Minecraft and even going down to 20 FPS (which is the lowest you can go without it being slow in-game) it's still lagging and I don't know why. Specifically, the skipped frames due to encoding lag is really high, it's at 20% or more on average and I only have OBS, Minecraft, and Spotify up.

.norman.

.norman.

i would turn off game bar and game dvr in windows settings. run obs as administrator and fix the issue where you have a game capture and a display capture in the same scene (Gaming UwU) these cause issues when in the same scene.

when you upload the next log, make sure that it is a complete session. exit and restart OBS, start a stream or recording as you would normally, allow for at least 30 seconds of streaming or recording before ending the stream/recording, then upload that log file.

Ttaunt

i would turn off game bar and game dvr in windows settings. run obs as administrator and fix the issue where you have a game capture and a display capture in the same scene (Gaming UwU) these cause issues when in the same scene.

when you upload the next log, make sure that it is a complete session. exit and restart OBS, start a stream or recording as you would normally, allow for at least 30 seconds of streaming or recording before ending the stream/recording, then upload that log file.
It's doing pretty good now, there was a lot of grainyness and some glitches but other wise it was find. Something else notable was that there was a second option to end stream labeled "disk delay" in parentheses. Here's the log file: https://obsproject.com/logs/mw_1GbzZa1s3aKB4

.norman.

It's doing pretty good now, there was a lot of grainyness and some glitches but other wise it was find. Something else notable was that there was a second option to end stream labeled "disk delay" in parentheses. Here's the log file: https://obsproject.com/logs/mw_1GbzZa1s3aKB4

you still have game bar and game dvr enabled in windows. these should be turned off as it adds more workload to the GPU. you also have stream delay enabled, unless you need this for some reason you should turn it off as well. this is likely the reason you get the "disk delay" in parentheses. Settings -> Advanced -> Stream Delay.

you are also still not running OBS as adminstrator.

Lawrence_SoCal

Running OBS as Admin deals with a specific GPU priority scheduling issue (so I heard), at risk of issues if following good practice of NOT running as local admin.
I have no need to run OBS as local admin, and unless having the specific issue, i don't recommend it.
And if local admin is alternate profile, lots of OBS settings will need to be re-done, as they are saved by default in user profile space. not a big deal, but something to be aware of

.norman.

Running OBS as Admin deals with a specific GPU priority scheduling issue (so I heard), at risk of issues if following good practice of NOT running as local admin.
I have no need to run OBS as local admin, and unless having the specific issue, i don't recommend it.
And if local admin is alternate profile, lots of OBS settings will need to be re-done, as they are saved by default in user profile space. not a big deal, but something to be aware of
you do not need to be logged in to the Administrator account on your computer to run OBS as administrator. you can simply right click on the link and select 'run as administrator' alternatively you can edit the shortcut to always run as administrator. doing so has no effect on your settings in OBS and nothing at all to do with profiles. running as administrator does allow OBS priority in the system. if someone is having issues with rendering lag or other missed frames, allowing OBS every advantage to succeed is absolutely recommended.

Lawrence_SoCal

you do not need to be logged in to the Administrator account on your computer to run OBS as administrator. you can simply right click on the link and select 'run as administrator' alternatively you can edit the shortcut to always run as administrator. doing so has no effect on your settings in OBS and nothing at all to do with profiles.
1. I didn't say log on as admin to RUNAS admin
2. as for no effect on OBS settings - that isn't always true - depends on whether local user account is admin using UAC (which is silly, near worthless/pointless, imo [shared with those with cyber-security expertise]), or better practice is standard user account with separate admin account. If the later, then (RUNAS) running OBS as Admin DOES involve a different user profile ... standard Windows OS practice since at least WinNT4 (90s), if not earlier (don't recall if same with NT3.5). In case you are unaware, when using RUNAS (command line or right-click) and run an APp in an alternate security context, that app will use the user profile associated with that account.

And, if dealing with rendering/encoding issues, then sometimes, you don't have a choice (which I acknowledged).. but running as admin should be a worst-case fallback option. It is a terrible practice to make it an up-front recommendation. And, from I've seen rarely truly required if one adjust other settings appropriately. In my experience, most folks on this forum who recommend running OBS as admin, are often speaking to technically unsophisticated users and fail to mention the caveats and risks associated (or, in your case, appear to not even understand the OS implications). so definitely NOT absolutely recommended (unless one prioritizes OBS output over all else, and user is okay with risking compromising the entire OS, and therefore any personal data on it. I've read of plenty of such folks that re-install the OS fresh up once a year or more.. and for some gamers, that may be fine due to piss-poor game code causing its own OS issues.. but again, such implications should be disclosed to folks when making the recommendation or it is irresponsible, from my perspective).

We may need to agree to disagree on running OBS as admin. Otherwise, I appreciate your volunteering your time assisting on this forum

AaronD

It's really high for me and I usually play Minecraft and even going down to 20 FPS (which is the lowest you can go without it being slow in-game) it's still lagging and I don't know why. Specifically, the skipped frames due to encoding lag is really high, it's at 20% or more on average and I only have OBS, Minecraft, and Spotify up.
Might just be a wording thing, but it sounds to me like you're turning down the framerate in the game, and you've said nothing about the framerate in OBS. Those are two different things, and the OBS one is what determines the deadline to finish each frame. Miss that deadline, and you have to drop the next one.

Ttaunt

you still have game bar and game dvr enabled in windows. these should be turned off as it adds more workload to the GPU. you also have stream delay enabled, unless you need this for some reason you should turn it off as well. this is likely the reason you get the "disk delay" in parentheses. Settings -> Advanced -> Stream Delay.

you are also still not running OBS as adminstrator.
I've tried turning off game bar and game DVR but it already says that game bar is turned off and I don't know how to turn off game DVR so if you could please explain that to me that would be great.

Ttaunt

Might just be a wording thing, but it sounds to me like you're turning down the framerate in the game, and you've said nothing about the framerate in OBS. Those are two different things, and the OBS one is what determines the deadline to finish each frame. Miss that deadline, and you have to drop the next one.
No, it isn't the game. It's perfectly fine on my side of things but when I look at Twitch while I'm playing and the VODS it's laggy. The skipped frames is also going, at some times, over 50% so I definitely think its OBS

AaronD

No, it isn't the game. It's perfectly fine on my side of things but when I look at Twitch while I'm playing and the VODS it's laggy. The skipped frames is also going, at some times, over 50% so I definitely think its OBS
YES! There's ALSO a framerate setting in OBS. SEPARATE FROM THE GAME. Turn THAT framerate down, and the game back up if you like.
1670895021837.png

A good enough computer shouldn't need that, but it sounds like you're taxing yours.

Last edited: