Question / Help How do I Stream a Pre-recorded Video to YouTube as a Live Event to Be Aired at a Later Date?

abajan

Hopefully, the title of this thread doesn't sound too confusing because I'm not sure I'm using the correct terminology. Here's the situation. I have a video which I want to upload to YouTube but I don't want to do it in the regular way because I understand that when videos are uploaded as live events (see sceenshot) they get ranked much faster on Google and YouTube.

s7zRXEi.png

Is there a comprehensive tutorial anywhere on this forum or elsewhere showing how to do this with OBS? If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks

Last edited:

Boildown

Try using this: https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/video-source-plugin.20

The significant downside to your plan is that you have to encode your video in real-time as you send it, which means another lossy encoding step before YouTube's lossy encoding step. And you can't encode it as well as you can uploading a file you encoded with Handbrake at less than live-video speed. And finally there may be bitrate limitations on what you can send to YouTube, or from your own internet connection (not sure if YouTube has restrictions like Twitch or not).

abajan

Thanks, guys. After much experimentation, I was able to get this to work. Using a website to convert my mp4 video to a webm file, uploading it to a site which hosts such files for a limited time and then using the CLR Browser plugin to stream the file to YouTube worked surprisingly well.