How do i record Xbox gamebar party chat on a seperate audio track using obs?

KelBShobra

Ive been trying to figure this out for months.

When recording with OBS Studio, im unable to record party chat outputting from xbox game bar audio on pc in a seperate audio track so i have that audio alone in one track. I just wanna record my party chat on a seperate audio track from everything else, so i can make my friends voice the same volume as mine and remove the weird scratches the mic makes when it rubs against his shirt in post during editing. But OBS cant see the XBOX Gamebar app at all, and because of this Using the "application audio capture" feature in obs doesnt work to capture the party chat.

The only way i can capture gamebar audio merges it with the game audio thats playing from my elgato or on my desktop.

I'm wondering if there is any way i could possibly fix this?

Im also curious if theres a way to use the xbox gamebar and its features without it being in an overlay? My theory is that if i could use it outside of overlay mode it might identify it like just another app thats say minimized into the tray. When In overlay mode i dont think it identifies the audio output in the same way as it would when capturing and separating the audio from a game onto another audio track.

Hope this can get figured this out somehow. Or hopefully Microsoft updates this so it works with this feature. It would be so useful to be able to do this it just. Doesnt work tho

AaronD

Does the chat audio come in separately from the normal game audio? Or are they already mixed by the time OBS gets it?

As long as they're separate, yes, you can route them differently. But once they're mixed, you can't separate them again.

If OBS gets them already mixed, all may not be lost yet. The source app might have a setting to separate them.

KelBShobra

Does the chat audio come in separately from the normal game audio? Or are they already mixed by the time OBS gets it?

As long as they're separate, yes, you can route them differently. But once they're mixed, you can't separate them again.

If OBS gets them already mixed, all may not be lost yet. The source app might have a setting to separate them.
Party chat would come from the xbox gamebar app, its not part of any game no. Its a seperate app. doesnt show up in obs in any way tho

Harold

Unless you can separate out the party chat to another audio device or a separate program process, you won't be able to separate it within obs.

DaForce2000

Only way i've managed to make it work is to route it via voicemeter banana then you can capture it in obs just fine.
But the one downside of that , which I have not managed to work out yet, is that if you make any recordings using nvidia shadowplay/share the xbox gamebar party chat won't be included as it's not part of the default audio route.. or something like that from what i've guessed.

KelBShobra

Xbox Game bar now shows up when using the Application Audio Capture (BETA) feature in the latest update of OBS, But it does not capture any audio coming from Xbox parties, I've tried a couple different things but nothing will output. would be nice if this was fixed as people have been asking for this for over 5 years from what I've seen online looking for answers.
Ap audio beta gamebar.png
Ap audio beta gamebar2.png