Question / Help How do I properly use "Compressor" for ALL desktop audio?

ball2hi

I have tried using a compressor before using the VST 2.x Plug-in with Reaper plugins. However, I found more than not that the audio sounded really bad and if there was anyone else ever talking they'd sometimes sound robotic. I noticed that OBS implemented it's own, more friendly compressor so I figured I'd give it a try and it seems to work great but audio seems to bounce a lot.

This is what my compressor looks like right now:
https://i.imgur.com/kjVROm0.png

I use a compressor for my own voice to cap it, but I also want to use a compressor for my games to prevent game audio from ever going above my average voice line. I play games that are, unfortunately, extremely loud even when set to lower volumes. I started a running joke in the community of, "If your ears aren't bleeding, you aren't playing (X).".

Normally, I would just lower the overall volume of desktop audio which is a great bandaid until I move to other, much more normal audio games. Then my audio becomes way too quiet.

So, could someone walk me through how to configure this compressor so that I could have less "bounce" in my audio? Generally if there is constant noise, it sounds fine but when the noise isn't consistent (IE. People talking) you can hear it "bounce" in volume.

Suslik V

So, you want to configure compressor as simple audio limiter?

Threshold (dB) : defines the level from which all sounds will affect filtering by this filter, in decibels.Thus, you may want to set it at few dB lower then your voice (look at the level meter of the main window).
Ratio (X:1) : defines compression ratio of the input signal. Thus, you may want to set it up to 20-30.

Attack (ms) : defines front length of the sound signal, in milliseconds (how fast filter reacts on volume level change). You may keep it at 6ms. Too high values will lead to "waving" sound.
Release (ms) : defines back length of the sound signal, in milliseconds (how fast filter fades from its changes). You may keep it at 60ms. Too low values will lead to "bounce" in volume if source has repeatedly loud sounds (human speak) over the quite source (close to Threshold level).

ball2hi

So, you want to configure compressor as simple audio limiter?

Threshold (dB) : defines the level from which all sounds will affect filtering by this filter, in decibels.Thus, you may want to set it at few dB lower then your voice (look at the level meter of the main window).
Ratio (X:1) : defines compression ratio of the input signal. Thus, you may want to set it up to 20-30.

Attack (ms) : defines front length of the sound signal, in milliseconds (how fast filter reacts on volume level change). You may keep it at 6ms. Too high values will lead to "waving" sound.
Release (ms) : defines back length of the sound signal, in milliseconds (how fast filter fades from its changes). You may keep it at 60ms. Too low values will lead to "bounce" in volume if source has repeatedly loud sounds (human speak) over the quite source (close to Threshold level).

I mean, you gave a lot of information to work with but still not sure exactly what i need to be changing to achieve what I want.

I left attack at 6 and changed release to 400ms.

Why would i want to change the ratio from 10:1?

Remember, I'm trying to do this over my desktop audio, which means my game audio and voice audio received from other people I talk with.

Narcogen

Remember, I'm trying to do this over my desktop audio, which means my game audio and voice audio received from other people I talk with.

You can't set a limiter for the game audio separately from the level of your chat audio if they're on the same device (default desktop audio).

Look at installing Voicemeeter Banana to give yourself a virtual audio device to assign to chat so you can handle levels and compression values for game and chat separately.

ball2hi

You can't set a limiter for the game audio separately from the level of your chat audio if they're on the same device (default desktop audio).

Look at installing Voicemeeter Banana to give yourself a virtual audio device to assign to chat so you can handle levels and compression values for game and chat separately.
Uh... I might be confused here but I think you misunderstood what I typed.

I am trying to limit my entire desktop audio, which will include voice/game/music. I am not wanting separate limiters for voice chat yet.

Suslik V

The more compression is done - less room left for the sound pikes over the threshold. If threshold at -20dB, and ratio is 32 and attack is 1ms, then overall volume of the source will be close to -20dB, but any whisper (all that are lower than -20dB) will be untouched.