How do I launch the Auto-Configuration Wizard?

rtroy

It must be obvious for everyone else somehow but NOBODY says how.

I'm just getting started, obviously, and have a spare web server that is my test bed - it's a production system BACKUP, so not needed right now. And, because this is a production environ (and there aren't any other good spots here to do this), the system is, of course, "headless" - that is, it doesn't normally have an attached "console". However, it's a Fedora Server with Gnome (a GUI windowing system), and there's a KVM switch, so it can also have a monitor, keyboard and mouse when someone's seated next to the server rack.

I'm ready to run it but don't know how to launch it. And, I can't even find an image to launch: I've used find over the whole of all available disks and there just is no file that contains 'wizard' and 'auto' (case insensitive).

For what it's worth, this was installed with dnf (the successor installer on Fedora to yum). It's straight from the normal distribution and I got all the sub-packages available, too.

I dare say that the quick start guide should include this information!

Thanks for any help.

rtroy

I don't see how to edit the above or even delete it and start over!

I read this, OF COURSE:

The wizard will show the first time you run OBS. If you need to run it again, click on Tools -> Auto-Configuration Wizard.

But, how do I run OBS?

Additionally, I've looked a bit deeper and it's rather obvious that the developers intended ALL access to be via a GUI.

Fine, for daily use, I can set the DISPLAY variable to my main system I use to manage 22 or so computers and run any GUI from there. And it looks from my still complete novice viewpoint that there's likely just ONE tool used to manage a site. But HOW do you LAUNCH OBS? What's the command? I've looked high and low for ANYTHING in /bin or /sbin with a name starting with obs?

I found "launch parameters" that look like standard command line flags - how about sharing the COMMAND for which those flags are pertinent? You know, I only need a TINY push in the right direction...

Look, if I'm just being daft and have overlooked something simple, please point me at it!

Thanks,
RT

Last edited:

WizardCM

Forum Moderator
Community Helper
OBS is a desktop GUI application. From command line, it's usually launched with `obs` on Linux.

rtroy

Thanks for replying: WHERE do I find the executable? It's not on my system?!

I have all this installed:

rpm -qa | grep obs
obs-build-mkbaselibs-20220812-393.9.1.fc35.noarch
obs-service-download_files-0.6.2-6.fc35.noarch
obs-build-mkdrpms-20220812-393.9.1.fc35.noarch
obs-build-20220812-393.9.1.fc35.noarch
obs-service-obs_scm-common-0.10.10-7.fc35.noarch
obs-service-appimage-0.10.10-7.fc35.noarch
obs-service-obs_scm-0.10.10-7.fc35.noarch
obs-service-snapcraft-0.10.10-7.fc35.noarch
obs-service-tar-0.10.10-7.fc35.noarch
obs-service-tar_scm-0.10.10-7.fc35.noarch
obserware-0.2.9-1.fc35.noarch
obs-service-rust2rpm-1-6.fc35.noarch
observable-doc-0-2.20210719gitae3a59c.fc35.x86_64
observable-devel-0-2.20210719gitae3a59c.fc35.x86_64
obs-signd-2.5.10-1.20210907git5c32050.fc35.x86_64
obs-service-set_version-0.5.12-5.fc35.noarch
obs-service-recompress-0.3.1-7.git20170704.59bf231.fc35.noarch
obs-service-extract_file-0.3-7.20190325git8ea7a76.fc35.noarch

There's not ANY file in /bin /sbin or ANYWHERE else I can find on the whole system! Otherwise, I'd not have asked!

Further advice, please?

Thanks,
RT

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
How did you install OBS? As in, what command did you run to install it? Are you sure you didn't install Open Build Service by mistake?

The only official Linux builds we offer are the Ubuntu PPA and the Flatpak -- everything else is maintained by somebody else.

rtroy

Uhhhh.... Yeah, MAYBE I installed Open Build Service?! I'd never heard of that before! ... I guess I naively thought that someone had taken the source and just made the package for it!

However, I had already given up on that and installed the source, built and installed it as per directions here.

I now have the executable, but it doesn't work!

When launched from a Fedora standard (Gnome) terminal window or xterm window directly on the system console, I get:

qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "wayland" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vkkhrdisplay, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, xcb.

When launched in the VASTLY preferred way, from a Cygwin BASH Window on my monster of a Windows 7 system (6 gigantic monitors) via an x-windows display connection (which, by the way, works wonderfully for absolutely everything else), I get :

QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-rtroy'
Attempted path: share/obs/obs-studio/locale/en-US.ini
Attempted path: /usr/local/share/obs/obs-studio/locale/en-US.ini
Attempted path: share/obs/obs-studio/locale.ini
Attempted path: /usr/local/share/obs/obs-studio/locale.ini
Attempted path: share/obs/obs-studio/themes/Yami.qss
Attempted path: /usr/local/share/obs/obs-studio/themes/Yami.qss
info: Using EGL/X11
info: CPU Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-8100 CPU @ 3.60GHz
info: CPU Speed: 3600.000MHz
info: Physical Cores: 4, Logical Cores: 4
info: Physical Memory: 3847MB Total, 150MB Free
info: Kernel Version: Linux 5.14.10-300.fc35.x86_64
info: Distribution: "Fedora Linux" 35
info: Window System: X11.0 - vendor string: The Cygwin/X Project - vendor release: 11902000
info: Qt Version: 6.2.3 (runtime), 6.2.3 (compiled)
info: Portable mode: false
qt.core.qmetaobject.connectslotsbyname: QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: No matching signal for on_tbar_position_valueChanged(int)
qt.core.qmetaobject.connectslotsbyname: QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: No matching signal for on_actionShowTransitionProperties_triggered()
qt.core.qmetaobject.connectslotsbyname: QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: No matching signal for on_actionHideTransitionProperties_triggered()
Attempted path: share/obs/obs-studio/themes/Dark/no_sources.svg
Attempted path: /usr/local/share/obs/obs-studio/themes/Dark/no_sources.svg
info: OBS 28.0.1-90-g2a76ffaf0 (linux)
info: ---------------------------------
info: audio settings reset:
samples per sec: 48000
speakers: 2
max buffering: 960 milliseconds
buffering type: dynamically increasing
info: Initializing OpenGL...
error: Failed to get EGL display using eglGetDisplay
error: Failed to create context!
error: device_create (GL) failed
malloc(): unsorted double linked list corrupted

All that said, I'm perfectly competent at managing a system - that I understand, which doesn't include OBS yet! - "headless", that is, without a GUI... Now that I apparently have the correct software installed (though in totally alien places), I presume that's possible? After all, this stuff DOES run as a server, right? My understanding is you set things up and it interoperates with the streaming server, in this case Nginx, correct?

Anyway, that it doesn't work on the console is disconcerting!

I kept a log of the build, of course, in addition to the ones that I noted somewhere were being created - something I think all competent sys admins would do.

Since I've found the binary, should I start a new topic thread about the display problems?

Thanks for the help.
RT

rtroy

Note that during the compile, on the first run through, I got this error:

CMake Error at cmake/Modules/ObsHelpers.cmake:446 (message):
OBS: SRT and RIST libraries not found! Please install SRT and RIST
libraries or set ENABLE_NEW_MPEGTS_OUTPUT=OFF.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
plugins/obs-ffmpeg/CMakeLists.txt:25 (obs_status)

I did as it suggested... and I have NO idea of what impact that may have.

I also have no idea what SRT or RIST are, so IDK what perhaps should be installed?

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Can you run this command in the same environment that you're trying to run the GUI app and post the output?

glxinfo | grep OpenGL

That said, I sort of doubt OBS will run on Cygwin.

rtroy

Thanks for the comment, dodgepong.

I was only hoping it would display via x windows on cygwin, not run there.

However, I'm also having trouble with it running directly on Fedora 35. I believe I already posted the errors output.

That said, I've tried your suggestion using said x windows to cygwin strategy and the other requires my going to the console, and I haven't had time yet. ...Here's the result displaying via x windows:

OpenGL vendor string: Mesa/X.org
OpenGL renderer string: llvmpipe (LLVM 13.0.0, 256 bits)
OpenGL version string: 3.1 Mesa 21.2.5
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.40
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL extensions:

Not a lot of data, but maybe that tells you something? I'm hopeful.

I don't need audio from here, screen selection, etc: I was hoping to use it in a different capacity than it's design intent, apparently. However, I installed the windows version on my desktop box and it works, it's just far from ideal because the real serving is being done by nginx on a server box that has direct access to the internet, and thus can take in streams from there.

I'll try from the console in coming days.

Tuna

You GPU (or the software emulation) only supports OpenGL 3.1. OBS requires at least 3.3.

Last edited: