Question / Help How do I get 1080p 60FPS Perfect Quality (RECORDING ONLY) when using El Gato HD60 + OBS?

georgeh9897

I've been at this for days trying different settings and messing around with random bitrate... I'm not sure what it is but for the life of me I CANNOT get good 1080p 60 FPS quality when I record from OBS Studio and upload it to YouTube.

I am not streaming. I am just using the Record feature as I want the best possible quality. I use an El Gato HD60 also as a Game Capture in OBS to capture gameplay from my PS4.

Any ideas on why I cannot get the quality to actually be perfect and not pixelated or have that "blurry" effect like in the video?

My specs if it helps are:

8 RAM
Windows 8

Last edited:

Sapiens

Forum Moderator
Use the recording quality presets under Settings > Output > Simple mode. Youtube will re-encode anything you upload so it won't ever look like the original you record with OBS.

georgeh9897

Are these settings optimal for perfect 1080p 60 FPS recording? Or should I up or increase anything?

http://imgur.com/a/9GCue

CxSJrs0.png

O4lzrmn.png

OUh2ueA.png

Z3rbsCN.png

georgeh9897

I'm just trying to understand why my 1080p videos don't come out in good quality on YouTube... but other players 1080p videos come out in perfect quality.

georgeh9897

Do those settings produce local recordings that meet your expectations for quality?

I followed some YouTube video tutorials and they told me to put those settings. When I watch them in my media, they look "good" but I don't think they're actually 1080p 60 FPS good.

Should OBS Studio be consuming over 50% CPU power when just recording with EL GATO? Os something off?

I'd really recommend you try doing what @Sapiens mentioned before.In Output set Mode to Simple and then in Recording Quality choose Indistinguishable Quality, all your settings could be confusing the situation.

Also make sure that the Configuration for your HD 60 is correct, in the Sources pane, right click the capture device and choose properties, Configure video and make sure that the HD 60 is delivering 1080 at 60fps.

One final thing have you tried with x264 rather than NVENC it's supposed to provide better results but obviously depends on the CPU you have in your machine.

Raca

Kinda late... just 2 recommendations:

1) Is good to know that when you are recording a game, is better to do it in a separate hard disk that runs at the same speed than the main hard disk because the main disk is processing lot of info for making the game ok. You can lower your video settings to low and see how it goes.

2) Higher BITRATE for the NVIDIA video card (NVENC H.264) is better quality but more work to process to. The thing is that YOUTUBE will process at 15 Mb. Because you are recording at 50000 bitrate (50 Mb aprox), when you upload to YouTube, it will re-process everything and might no get the result you want. So try lowering your Bitrate to 16000 and start testing.

If you change the Encoder to H.264 you will be ussing your Processor to record and not the Video Card. Is always better to hava a top processor for that because it will be working the OS, the programs, the video recording, the processing of other stuff running in the CPU. In this case you will necessarily need a second Hard Disk to record the game (unless you have a really good CPU).

Remember, your objective is not to have the best Recording Settings for seeing a Video on a PC but to have a great video on YouTube. Here is the link with YouTube settings for uploading videos.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

I am not a video professional, just a guy that learns on the way but try to be as accurate as possible. Had similar issues that where solved with a new HD for recording (NOT external USB HD but connected directly to the Motherboard).

And as usual... have fun... be cool!!!!!

StingPax

This is super late, but maybe it will help somebody who stumbles over this forum post like myself.
Youtube have 2 different codecs for uploaded videos (or even more, just know about these 2) avc1 and vp.09.
The avc1 is the standart one ("ok" quality for videos wich dont requiere it)
But the vp.09 codec is much better in terms of quality!
There are two ways to get this codec for your videos: have around 10K subcribers (for real) or render your videos in der higher resolution!
I record my stuff with 1080p but render it with 1440p, youtube think its a 1440p native video and forces the better vp.09 codec! Hope this will help someone! :)
Btw, i make german lets plays on youtube, my name is StingPax (gaming).
I make this for a hobby and nothing else.
If you are interested in games all over the genres, you can check out my stuff!
Have fun watching, and recording!