Question / Help How do I add music to only one scene?

Hello,

I am adding a short break filler between my stream. Whenever I go take a break for a few minutes, I switch my scene to the break filler. Now, I would like to add a music playlist only to the break filler, not the entire stream. Hopefully each time I open up the break filler, songs are randomly selected if possible.

It should appear something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3EcNwracO8

Thank you very much!

wuthrer

Hi there!

I kind of got the same problem. I've been trying different things for the last 2 hours and I can't get it work. I might be missing something. (I already apologize for my bad english, I'm not a native speaker.)

I want to play background music on my stream. I've got several mp3 on my local drive and I want OBS to "hear" them, not the full desktop sound.

So far, I've tried this:

1) I found somewhere that we can add a "Vlc source" so I could usily use this software as a music player. Unfortunately, this kind of source doesn't show up in my list. I've been uninstalling both OBS and VLC and reinstall them in the same ProgramFiles folder, it didn't change anything :[

2) I also tried the solution you gave on the second comment, but it doesn't work for me. When I choose to add a Media Source, I've got 2 main options. I can choose between local source or not. If I choose local, VLC let me choose a media file like .mp3, .wav, etc. It doesn't recognize the .xpsf you got when you save a playlist from VLC. The point is, I really want to use VLC like a mixer so I can switch between my tracks freely while streaming (I've got a lot of music files).

Anyone knows what I'm doing wrong?

SumDim

If you got non-copyrighted music, you can solve the problem this way (I do this).

For one scene only, "Intermission" like what I have in my live streams.:
- Create a Scene and name it "Intermission"
- Create three sources (you'll see why later)
  1. - Music Credit: Scrolling song title and author
  2. - Background Image: Points at the background JPEG for the scene
  3. - Media Source:
  • Click Local File
  • Local file is set to the MP3 on your hard disk
  • Loop on
  • Restart playback when source becomes active on
  • Use hardware decoding on
  • Hide source when playback ends on
  • Close file when inactive off
  • YUV: Auto
To get random music playing in your stream while it is playing, run VLC. It is not a media source, just run as is. It will pipe all music to your desktop audio.
Load up all songs locally into the VLC playlist and if you want random, click on the random button.

You must give proper acknowledgement to the holder of the music while the music is playing. It must be non-copyright music or copyright music that you have authorized to play. If you fail to do abide by those rules, your channel will get delisted and you could possibly even get sued. So make sure you got approval to do it.

Most non-copyright music requires you to give the song author proper acknowledgement with the song title and the author name. That requires a scrolling text or fixed text label assigned to the OBS scene. Because the song will be changing, you need a software tool that communicates between the music player and OBS Studio.

There is tool that I use that does this called SMG Music Display. It is a little program that connects to OBS Studio that updates the text labels on the fly when the song changes.

Last edited:

If you got non-copyrighted music, you can solve the problem this way (I do this).

For one scene only, "Intermission" like what I have in my live streams.:
- Create a Scene and name it "Intermission"
- Create three sources (you'll see why later)
  1. - Music Credit: Scrolling song title and author
  2. - Background Image: Points at the background JPEG for the scene
  3. - Media Source:
  • Click Local File
  • Local file is set to the MP3 on your hard disk
  • Loop on
  • Restart playback when source becomes active on
  • Use hardware decoding on
  • Hide source when playback ends on
  • Close file when inactive off
  • YUV: Auto
To get random music playing in your stream while it is playing, run VLC. It is not a media source, just run as is. It will pipe all music to your desktop audio.
Load up all songs locally into the VLC playlist and if you want random, click on the random button.

You must give proper acknowledgement to the holder of the music while the music is playing. It must be non-copyright music or copyright music that you have authorized to play. If you fail to do abide by those rules, your channel will get delisted and you could possibly even get sued. So make sure you got approval to do it.

Most non-copyright music requires you to give the song author proper acknowledgement with the song title and the author name. That requires a scrolling text or fixed text label assigned to the OBS scene. Because the song will be changing, you need a software tool that communicates between the music player and OBS Studio.

There is tool that I use that does this called SMG Music Display. It is a little program that connects to OBS Studio that updates the text labels on the fly when the song changes.
Both the VLC player and the media source are playing two different songs at the same time. I only want music to be played in one scene.
When you add a source it will be in the source list.
I do not see VLC in the media source...