How can I make OBS smart enough to figure out the output resolution/canvas size?

By default, it seems that OBS canvas and scaled resolution are configured to 1920x1080. This is fine when I am recording full screen (such as a game), but, if I am capturing a window or if I want to apply a crop filter, OBS adds void space to the top and/or sides of the output. When I tell OBS to capture a window, there should be a way for it to figure out what dimensions to use for the output. When I apply a crop filter, it should be smart enough to figure out to just capture the region of the screen that I specify. After all, if I open an image in an image editor and crop it to a region, the entire canvas resizes. It seems that there should be a non-tedious way to tell OBS to do the same.

Is there some advanced setting I can configure to make OBS smart so that I don't have to toy around with settings every time I want to capture a window or region of the screen?

Right-click the source for that window->Resize output (source size).
I just did this and it set the output sizes to 1076x992 (see attached). However, the browser window I am capturing is 1092x1000, so it cuts off some of the top and bottom of the window.

Edit: Hold on here, something is not right with the dimensions I put above. The output video cuts off wayyyy more than just 16 pixels from the width and 8 pixels from the height. Looking into this more

Attachments

• obs res.PNG
    obs res.PNG
    351.1 KB · Views: 600
Last edited:
Still trying to figure this out, but it seems to be capturing a subset of the source window and then scaling it up to the source window's size. In my screenshot in previous post, you can see what is being captured in the OBS preview window on the left vs. what is actually visible in the source window on the right.

Right-click the source for that window->Resize output (source size).
Oddly, you provided an answer to this back in 2018 here which worked for me:

It's a bit tedious to do, but you can get the exact size of a source by right-clicking the source->Transform->Edit Transform. The size is the 3rd row. Then you go to Settings->Video and manually enter these values into the canvas size in the 1234x457 format. You are not limited to the values of the dropdown list, you can enter arbitrary size values. Don't forget to adjust the output resolution accordingly.

There must be hundreds of people having this problem according to my Google searching. OBS needs to make this more intuitive. Nobody likes to muck around with settings and changing numbers, especially when they will be capturing windows of varying size on a regular basis.

D

Deleted member 121471

Oddly, you provided an answer to this back in 2018 here which worked for me:

There must be hundreds of people having this problem according to my Google searching. OBS needs to make this more intuitive. Nobody likes to muck around with settings and changing numbers, especially when they will be capturing windows of varying size on a regular basis.

Koala's solution back in 2018 was just a workaround. The "Resize output (source size)" feature was added in 2019 to streamline the process. If you want to capture windows at different canvas resolutions on different streams, that's what Profile and Scene collections were made for, on the OBS main window.

OBS is as intuitive as it gets, at this time. However, no matter how much simpler the program is designed to be, there will always be people that want to be handheld through the entire process and will not read through the official documentation that is freely available. Even large warnings such as the big yellow text when you select .mp4 as a recording format being highly ill-advised hasn't stopped people from coming to these forums complaining about lost footage.

At some point, simplicity and automated handholding leads to unnecessary problems, menu clutter and feature creep since users do not understand what the setting does, why said setting is the most optimal one for their setup and needs or even if said setting they require even exists.

Last edited by a moderator: