Question / Help how can i choose the gpu for obs

carlo5chau

Here my setup
gaming pc 2070s + 750(for obs encode) + capture card ,obs for sound and a keyboard app only (nonboard),with a ndi plugin
streaming pc 750ti + ndi

gpu0=2070s gpu1=750
cause i am using ndi so i dont need to start streaming or record on obs app
and it wont be gpu1-3d or gpu1-encode,only i start streaming or record and it will be gpu 1 encode
how can i make it be gpu1-3d or gpu1-encode even i didnt start streaming or record
thanksss!
or can it be support with a update?!

carlo5chau

or even i start streaming or record,its also take my gpu0-3d? and working with gpu1-encode?
how can i check that with software,thanks!

FerretBomb

Also, the Turing NVENC core in your 2070 is RIDICULOUSLY higher-quality than the crappy version in a 750.
Turing NVENC is on par with x264 Slow most of the time in VMAF testing. A 750 would be lucky to keep up with Superfast.
NVENC is a separate part of the GPU die that will not degrade your in-game performance at all. It's literally dedicated to video encoding, and normally just sits idle, doing nothing if you're just gaming.

Really, Turing NVENC has entirely eliminated the need for 2PC setups in 99.999% of cases.

carlo5chau

learned something new #adore#

i saw a post from a forum said that using 2 gpu (GTX1070 + GT730 what he using) will make your fps better,and i tried it before when i am still using i7 6700K + GTX980ti + GTX750 + capure card with same computer and streaming all in 1 and it worked
1)maybe its because 1070 or 980ti didnt have the any core for streaming?(or 980ti and 1070 will take your gaming performance?)

i will still using 2pc for streaming cause i need to full screen and make 144/240hz to happen,i need another pc for surfing the net or obs's scenes
2)so for my case,i should using that?
gaming pc:2070s only + capture card + ndi (sound + nonboard)
streaming pc(i3-9100F): any display card + ndi

3)i have another question,live with take my cpu right?(i mean uploading data to youtube or twitch live)
4)turing=rtx20
pascal=gtx10?
maxwell=gtx9?
5)if i using GTX750 nvenc with streaming pc,is it the reason make it worse?(my friend tolld me that before even i am using 1080p60 capture card and i dont know why before)

6)i will get a gtx 1060 3gb soon,is it better for the sharpness?

7)and if i change that to cpu encode,can i set a delay or something to make cpu lower usage rate and higher quality(cause most of time,i just want to save my game play to cloud,so i dont need a 100TB etc)
*high latency and high quality

8)any software better that ndi-obs or it already good for nowadays?

I’m sorry for asking so many questions. I appreciate your time in responding to whatever you can, when you are able to find the time!

carlo5chau

one more sorry
9)when i start streaming or record it show me "Video Encode" is 3% when using 2070s from windows' task manager,is that mean using the rtx nvenc encoder's core

FerretBomb

1) No. The GTX 900-series and 1000-series have NVENC. It's an older generation than the Turing on the RTX 20-series is all. The person was mistaken, or looking at a different framerate.

2) Only use the one PC with the 2070 in it for encoding. Sending an NDI source from the laptop to the main machine can work. The one with the 2070 is your streaming AND gaming PC now.

3) When encoding with NVENC, most of the heavy lifting is handled by the GPU. The CPU is needed for some things still (video stream decoding, like with NDI sources, browser sources, etc)

4) https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-decode-gpu-support-matrix

5) The 750 NVENC is garbage. DO NOT use the machine with the 750 as your streaming PC. Use the 2070 as your streaming and gaming PC.

6) No, the 1060 NVENC is worse than the 2070. You DO NOT want to use the second PC for streaming, only to send an NDI source to the machine with the 2070, to show browser windows/desktop. The machine with the 2070 is your gaming+streaming PC now.

7) NVENC on the 2070 is equivalent to x264 Slow. Which is EXTREMELY high quality. Don't bother using software encoding.

8) obs-ndi is the only viable software option at the moment. You could use a capture card to capture the i3 instead of sending that over NDI to the main gaming+streaming PC.

9) It should, yes. Turing NVENC can handle encoding two 4K60 streams in realtime, so a low utilization for your setup is not a problem, and is expected.

carlo5chau

thanks for your long reply

i am not sure am i understand what you said correctly or what i said before is it correctly,cause english is not my main language and i am not good at that

i think i have to restate my setup

gaming pc 2070s + capture box cv710(hdmi only) + ndi out (didnt start streaming or record,just open obs with obs-ndi plugin enable)(obs just got sound and nonboard with 800*600 and a green background)

streaming pc 750ti + capture box cv710's screen(input/usb3.0 in)+ndi in via local network(for the sound and nonboard)

10)so for the new rtx generation,one pc is almost like or better than 2pc with capture card only(no ndi)now?

even cpu have to do something task like upload via internet,video stream decoding

11)for video stream decoding(i am not sure what that mean,gpu not already coded?or decode it takes only few percent cpu usage rate?

12)and if i just open obs without start stream or record but ndi enabled,it takes less cpu usage rate than start streaming or recording,or what it takes is less to like 1% so it wont effect your game

thanks for the help fool people like me

carlo5chau

13)is that call vpu for the nvenc'core?,so they got different vpu(like bigger size) from 900 1000 and 2000,thats why 2000 got more 15% than 1000?

14),is it only work for encode,not will helping or work for gaming,thats why nvenc make less cpu usage rate?

15) is gtx 750ti or 750 using very older vpu core and make my streaming more worse (sharpness)?

16) for 750 1060,they using different vpu?so 1060 is more sharpness than 750

Narcogen

15) Yes. The encoder in your 2070 is much, MUCH better than in your 750. Do not use the 750 in a box for streaming. If your only way to a 2-PC setup is gaming on 2070 and streaming on 750, don't do it-- use a single PC setup and game + stream on the 2070.

16) 1060 is better than the 750, but the 2070 is so much better again that it is questionable you gain anything by using it.