Hotkeys Stop Working - OBS 28.xx

Yogomi

I am having an issue where the hotkeys stop working mid-stream. I use multiple cameras on a few different streaming setups. This problem persists on all of my M1 Macs. On one streaming setup I am just using hotkeys with three keyboards attached, two wireless and one USB. The other streaming setup it happens with either the with a wireless keyboard or during another stream where I change the cameras using USB foot pedals.

Once the issue happens, the hotkeys completely stop working altogether. My streams are reliant on changing the cameras on the fly and this issue is hindering this feature.

All Macs are all updated to the latest versions, but this started with the first release of OBS 28.

Log file attached.

Thank you.

-Frank

Attachments

• LogFile-hANkQna3gZP-Yx9M.pdf
    25.8 KB · Views: 56

Yogomi

So tonight I downloaded the last build of v27.xx and had zero problems. One of my streams is a live DJ stream with four cameras and eight scenes that have hotkeys assigned to them. Tonight I streamed for three hours straight and had no problems at all. Hopefully this will be addressed in 28.xx because I would prefer to be up to date on my software.

JohnyRingo

Same here. When I first launch OBS they work fine...if I go into settings, change the name of a scene or ANYTHING else, they immediately stop working.

Yogomi

Just checking back on this. It appears that OBS v28 still has not been updated since November 5th. Is there any other way to let the team know that the hotkeys crash is an issue other than the forums?

Would love to be updated to the new look and feel, but hotkeys will only work consistently in the last build of v27.

dluk

I am having horrible problems with hotkeys and most of the time they don't work. I'm making a simple slide show to try out some designs and one set of hotkeys controls the slide show, and another set of hotkeys switches scenes. If I can get the hotkeys to work at all, they only work to select scenes or only work to change slides. One or the other, time after time, and never both sets at once. Not to mention the really levels of latency so that I basically have no control over the hotkeys at all.

I am having an issue where the hotkeys stop working mid-stream. I use multiple cameras on a few different streaming setups. This problem persists on all of my M1 Macs. On one streaming setup I am just using hotkeys with three keyboards attached, two wireless and one USB. The other streaming setup it happens with either the with a wireless keyboard or during another stream where I change the cameras using USB foot pedals.

Once the issue happens, the hotkeys completely stop working altogether. My streams are reliant on changing the cameras on the fly and this issue is hindering this feature.

All Macs are all updated to the latest versions, but this started with the first release of OBS 28.

Log file attached.

Thank you.

-Frank
Why don't you get a stream deck XL and use it with Bitfocus, that would help you a lot, more reliable and less clutter on your desk when you stream. You can pay by instalment on amazon

Yogomi

Why don't you get a stream deck XL and use it with Bitfocus, that would help you a lot, more reliable and less clutter on your desk when you stream. You can pay by instalment on amazon
I don't want a Streamdeck. Adding one would actually be more clutter because I'd still have the keyboard(s) there. The way my streams are set up, they aren't just me sitting in a chair gaming. I run a variety channel with many different types of streams other than gaming which require multiple cams, sometimes needing to be triggered at specific times. In my studio I have three stationary streaming setups and a portable one for other types of streams. Sometimes I'm not even using a keyboard, I'm instead changing the cameras with USB foot pedals because I don't want things showing on screen during the presentation/web show. Even the foot pedals stop working in v28.xx.

The Streamdeck is not convenient for my style of streams.

All this works just fine in v27.xx still, so regardless, it needs to be fixed. They have hotkeys in the settings; they should work.

And for those downloading and testing out v29 prerelease, the problem persists. I tested it tonight and the hot keys broke while I was live.

Went back to v27.xx and finished the stream with no issues.

-F.

I don't want a Streamdeck. Adding one would actually be more clutter because I'd still have the keyboard(s) there. The way my streams are set up, they aren't just me sitting in a chair gaming. I run a variety channel with many different types of streams other than gaming which require multiple cams, sometimes needing to be triggered at specific times. In my studio I have three stationary streaming setups and a portable one for other types of streams. Sometimes I'm not even using a keyboard, I'm instead changing the cameras with USB foot pedals because I don't want things showing on screen during the presentation/web show. Even the foot pedals stop working in v28.xx.

The Streamdeck is not convenient for my style of streams.

All this works just fine in v27.xx still, so regardless, it needs to be fixed. They have hotkeys in the settings; they should work.

And for those downloading and testing out v29 prerelease, the problem persists. I tested it tonight and the hot keys broke while I was live.

Went back to v27.xx and finished the stream with no issues.

-F.
I now understand your stand point, I can imagine how frustrating you would be when v29 failed during your stream. I predominantly use V27 for every thing, although I have V28 installed on the same machine for testing purpose only.

Yogomi

Seeing the new notes on the prerelease beta 3 for V29. Still no addressing the hotkeys in the bug fixes.

AaronD

I assume you've checked this, correct?:
1672338889902.png

If you've never been there, then maybe the default changed between versions?

I really don't remember what the defaults are because I look through everything anyway, try to figure out what it all does, and change it to my liking.

Yogomi

I assume you've checked this, correct?:
View attachment 90078
If you've never been there, then maybe the default changed between versions?

I really don't remember what the defaults are because I look through everything anyway, try to figure out what it all does, and change it to my liking.
Yes. Definitely have checked this. Even tried it different ways. This happens on multiple computers, but only in v28 and above.

Yogomi

OBS Studio for Mac v29 has released and there appears to be no fixes for the breaking hotkeys bug still. I really wish there was a better way to report this bug. I have tested it and, as in beta versions, the hotkeys stop working. Back to V27.

Rob Tripp

I feel your pain Yogomi. I stream sports and the games generally run about 2+ hours. I'm using OBS 29 on an M1 Macbook air. After 75 to 90 minutes, my hotkeys usually stop working. If I quit OBS and restart (not possible, of course, in the middle of a stream), the hotkeys work again.

Yogomi

I feel your pain Yogomi. I stream sports and the games generally run about 2+ hours. I'm using OBS 29 on an M1 Macbook air. After 75 to 90 minutes, my hotkeys usually stop working. If I quit OBS and restart (not possible, of course, in the middle of a stream), the hotkeys work again.
It's really annoying. I love the new interface and performance, otherwise. It's just this ONE bug.

gac1990

I'm having this problem with OBS v29.0.2 on different Macs using both the Intel and Apple Silicon versions. Is there a fix on the horizon?

jremitz

I'm on 30.0.2 and the problem persists. It's inconsistent. Some streams for over an hour and no issues. Other streams the hot keys stop working after 20 minutes.

Yogomi

I'm on 30.0.2 and the problem persists. It's inconsistent. Some streams for over an hour and no issues. Other streams the hot keys stop working after 20 minutes.
I came back to this months later to see if anything had been fixed and it appears it hasn't. I guess I have to continue using V27. It's the only build that hotkeys still work.