Hotkeys not working Big Sur M1 Mini

Kobold

Hi, tried all possible, also the infos from this forum, but I could not get any hotkey working. I am using a Mac Mini M1 and latest OS. Any ideas, or infos how to get the hotkeys working? Is there a workaround to trigger different scenes? Thanks!

Captain3D

I am confirming that my hotkeys are not working on M1 Mac Mini, OBS 26.1. My streamdeck buttons are working but some link to a hotkey for faster action.

phil

Kobold

That's no good news. As a workaround I am using Keyboard Maestro with mouseclicks on scenes. It works, but I can not understand why hotkeys do nit work as they should, and also why there is absolutely no info or reply here about the problem. I will give Streamlab OBS a try, about the hotkeys.

Captain3D

OBS running on the M1 chip is going through Rosetta emulation (I presume) so we are finding the bugs. I started another thread about my scene crashing OBS on M1.

jbmath

This isn't a permanent solution, but it's a temporary fix on my M1 MacBook Air. My solution requires a MacOS equivalent to AutoHotKey -- I'm using Keyboard Maestro. Costs $30, but it's worth it for so many other reasons. I think there are free alternatives. Anyway...

I saw on another forum that function keys still work as OBS hotkeys as long as MacOS uses function keys by default (i.e., you don't have to click "fn" first). I confirmed that this is true inside of OBS, but not while in other application. So, I have Keyboard Maestro send my keystroke to OBS in the background, and it works perfectly. Here's a screenshot of the macro in Keyboard Maestro (F1 is the button I press, F5 the actual OBS hotkey):

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 8.03.46 PM.png

wilsonpage

Just to confirm how I got this working (based on jbmath's solution)

1. Change OBS hotkeys to use only F1-12 keys only (w/ Mac Touchbar press `fn` key to reveal these)
2. Download BetterTouchTool (free 45 day trial then $8)
3. Create a trigger (I used a custom TouchBar button) using the 'Send shortcut to specific app' action
4. Pick the F1-12 hotkey shortcut you used in OBS
5. In 'Send to app' pick OBS
6. Click Save
7. Repeat for all OBS hotkeys

In my case I have 2 shortcuts: 'Switch to Scene 1' and 'Switch to to Scene 2' to allow me to move between fullscreen camera and display capture whilst OBS is in the background. With this setup I have two custom buttons in the touchbar and I can just tap them to move between scenes.

BumBum

Mac OS 12.2.1 Monterey / M1Pro / Had the issue too.
Easy Fix (OBS 27.2.4)
Go to
System Prefs > Security & Privacy > Input Monitoring > (unlock to edit) > checkmark OBS
Bäm!

brokenwu

Mac OS 12.2.1 Monterey / M1Pro / Had the issue too.
Easy Fix (OBS 27.2.4)
Go to
System Prefs > Security & Privacy > Input Monitoring > (unlock to edit) > checkmark OBS
Bäm!

That does work. You set up your keys. Press them to test. They work. Woohoo!
Then you press them again.
And they do not work.
All the permissions are there, and Hotkey focus settings are also properly set up.
Any idea how to explain that behaviour?

csselement

Still problematic in the latest version 29.1.3. They work only while app is in focus, then after I start stream they stop working.

QuintenDockx

I was trying different things and what works for me is putting the hotkeys in as "option + hotkey". Don't know why this works but it seems to fix the problem for me. so instead of my numeric hotkeys 1, 2, 3,... I made the hotkeys option1, option2, option3,... (I don't have to press the option key to activate the hotkey, just the number)

Hopefully this is useful for someone :)

TyHardGaming

I was trying different things and what works for me is putting the hotkeys in as "option + hotkey". Don't know why this works but it seems to fix the problem for me. so instead of my numeric hotkeys 1, 2, 3,... I made the hotkeys option1, option2, option3,... (I don't have to press the option key to activate the hotkey, just the number)

Hopefully this is useful for someone :)
Would you explain what you mean by this? Like, what would your actual keystrokes be for your hotkeys?

I've been having issues with hotkeys in OBS Studio where each seems to only work once, and then stop working until I restart the application. Currently I'm attempting to use Control+H or Control+Option+H as most of the Command+[insert letter] are already used by my mac so I'm having trouble not accidentally hiding my screen by using a hotkey already in use by MacOS.