Hotkeys in OBS

Franco26

Hi guys, I am new to OBS so maybe you can help. I have set up my hotkeys to start and stop recording but they don't work unless my OBS dashboard is open on my screen. Is there a way to use the hotkeys so that I can start recording my screen without having to pull up the dashboard first?

AaronD

1674757406516.png

Be aware, though, that hotkeys are not exclusive to OBS. If another application responds to the same keys that you've set OBS to use, then you'll get both actions.

Franco26

Thank you for the reply, mine was set to "never disable hotkeys", I changed it to the setting that you showed here but I still cannot start recording on my screen unless the main window is visible first.

AaronD

Thank you for the reply, mine was set to "never disable hotkeys", I changed it to the setting that you showed here but I still cannot start recording on my screen unless the main window is visible first.
That screenshot is just to show that the option exists. The wording really needs to change, to get rid of the double negative, but my screenshot shows my preference to *only* use hotkeys when an OBS window *is* in focus. (that prevents me from sending OBS into a wacky fit when I type in a different app) I think you want the option to ALWAYS have them enabled, or "never disable".

Franco26

Yes this is what I am saying, it is already set to "never disable hotkeys", however they still do not work unless the main window is open. Therefore if i want to start recording I need to bring up the main window first which makes no sense

Yes this is what I am saying, it is already set to "never disable hotkeys", however they still do not work unless the main window is open. Therefore if i want to start recording I need to bring up the main window first which makes no sense
Use a Streamdeck and you would be able to control OBS even when not in focus as Streamdeck uses plugins to control devices and apps.