HOTKEYS: Am I the only one having problems with hotkeys working intermittently?

TFE

Have tried all three options under Hotkeys in the Advanced settings, and still having problems. For some period of time everything works fine. Then, it stops. Pressing the assigned hotkey will cause the relevant action (say, "Show Image X"), but pressing it again will not toggle the Image off. All other assigned hotkeys freeze at the same time. Only fix I can find is to quit and re-start OBS. Then the hotkeys work for a while. Using latest ver. of OBS (29.0.2) and Mac OS (Ventura 13.2.1). Have tried re-setting the OBS authorizations under Privacy & Security - Input Monitoring. Have tried using only single-key hotkeys as well as combinations with modifier keys, same issue. Have searched this forum and the Discord to no avail. Am I blind or otherwise missing something? Any advice greatly appreciated.

umlang

I've been experiencing this for a while now. I am using a hotkey to transition between scenes, and it will work a few times, but eventually stops working all together. I've not been able to isolate it yet. Sorry, I've not found a fix, but I do empathize with you.

Same here on M1 Mac, I eventually use Companion Bitfocus with streamdeck XL and I've never looked back. Now I prefer using Bitfocus natively, no problem at all.

Last edited:

Biks

OK, I'm not the only one. On a MacStudio M1 - did the Sys Security checkbox, etc. Just trying to add a hotkey for a cut transition. It does it ONCE, then never again. The hotkeys seems to be "crashing" internally when you use them. Who do you get to bitch to when the app is open source? :)

TFE

Same here on M1 Mac, I eventually use Companion Bitfocus with streamdeck XL and I've never looked back. Now I prefer using streamdeck natively, no problem at all.
Thanks, and I also use a Stream Deck to trigger hotkeys, but the same problem. For actions that the OBS Studio plug-in for Stream Deck has keys, yes, they work consistently. But some actions that I use hotkeys for are not available as keys on the OBS Studio plug-in. The scene section keys work great. The source visibility keys work fine, too. But using a "hotkey" key on the Stream Deck and programming to the hotkey saved in OBS settings — stops working after awhile same as using the assigned hotkey on the keyboard.

Talonis

I've always had the same problem with hotkeys and Mac OBS. As mentioned up-thread, BitFocus Companion (free) with StreamDeck seems pretty solid.

Yogomi

I came back here to check on this as I had as I posted about this awhile back.
https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/hotkeys-stop-working-obs-28-xx.161258/

I wanted to see if anyone else was still having this issue or if it had been fixed. It appears it still exists.

I know people like using StreamDecks as an alternative, but that is not a fix. As a simple feature in the app, it should work and not need a workaround.

For me hotkeys are just better for what I do and how I stream. I prefer not to have the added clutter of another device on my desks or streaming setup. For example, I have a stream where I use a USB 3-foot-pedal device to change scenes. A Streamdeck would not work in this situation at all and the hotkeys stop working with this as well.

I really hope they address this.

Talonis

It’s been problematic for so long I wouldn’t hold your breathe for it ever being fixed.

Hence: find an alternative solution.

TFE

I finally just bought a Stream Deck XL (32 keys on one "page"), and with the latest OBS plug-in v2.2.4 released 21 March 2023 my hotkey problems are solved (no longer needing to use the dreaded keyboard hotkeys that come and go — the stream deck is rock solid). And you can use multi-action keys, e.g., change an OBS scene and also show or hide one of the sources in that scene.
Screenshot 2023-04-20 at 15.47.02.png

TFE

P.S. Let me know if anyone wants an explanation of what these Stream Deck buttons do when I stream a twice-weekly, 90-120 minute, four-camera live sailing news show (often with a guest or two via Skype or Zoom) that I produce, host and switch (and change through 75 or so slides in a deck, and run the audio on an RCP, and read many of the hundreds of incoming comments, yada yada). OBS is terrific, and the SD is a huge help. And if I can do it at age 70 (my co-host is 84), anyone can!
IMG_4331.jpeg

Yogomi

I came back to this thread to see if anything has been fixed. I upgraded to test the latest version on one computer only to find out that it is still a problem.

I prefer to use wireless keyboards because I have multiple cameras on several streams located in different areas of my studio. I have wireless keyboards in each spot to switch the scenes. I don't want to buy three Streamdecks to do that. I don't even want ONE Streamdeck. On one stream I use a USB foot pedal board with three pedals to switch three cameras because a keyboard or Streamdeck wouldn't work in that situation. This also breaks the hotkeys. It's not just keyboards.

Something as basic as hotkeys should work as it seems, my thoughts. Doesn't seem sensible spending hundreds of dollars just to be able to use built-in hotkeys to switch scenes.

XLCOLDJ

I came back to this thread to see if anything has been fixed. I upgraded to test the latest version on one computer only to find out that it is still a problem.

I prefer to use wireless keyboards because I have multiple cameras on several streams located in different areas of my studio. I have wireless keyboards in each spot to switch the scenes. I don't want to buy three Streamdecks to do that. I don't even want ONE Streamdeck. On one stream I use a USB foot pedal board with three pedals to switch three cameras because a keyboard or Streamdeck wouldn't work in that situation. This also breaks the hotkeys. It's not just keyboards.

Something as basic as hotkeys should work as it seems, my thoughts. Doesn't seem sensible spending hundreds of dollars just to be able to use built-in hotkeys to switch scenes.

With or without a Stream Deck, the hotkeys will not work reliably on a Mac until you have done this:

Go into System Settings -> Privacy & Security -> Input Monitoring and give OBS permission to capture the keyboard.

1688805750421.png

crysxd

Having the same issue. Works well for 2-3h and then breaks randomly. Only restarting OBS seems to fix it.

Ugly workaround:
  • Install Advanced Scene Switcher plugin
  • Open the "Shortcuts" app
  • Create a new Shortcut from this: https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/db567a7da37145309e99b38e5f6e1a9c
  • Configure the shortcut
    Screenshot 2024-02-23 at 11.29.20.png
    • Replace the text in between the quotes in the green box (leave the " in place) to a unique value, I use S1, S2 etc to refer to my scenes
    • In the red box add your hotkey/shortcut
    • Important: Run the shortcut with the yellow button
      This creates a hidden file in your home directory
  • Return to OBS and open the Advanced Scene Switcher Settings
    • Ensure "Check conditions every" is set to 300ms. If you make this longer, change the "sleep 0.5" in the Shortcut shell script to be a bit longer (0.5 equals 500ms)
    • Create a Macro
      • Trigger: If `File` `Local file` (some file) `matches` `VALUE FROM GREEN BOX IN SHORTCUTS WITHOUT QUOTES"`
        • Click the Browse button
        • A finder window opens
        • Navigate to your home directory (the one containing Desktop, Downloads, ...)
        • Press cmd+Shift+. on your keyboard, this will show hidden files
        • Select the .obstrigger file (which was created when you ran the Shortcut)
        • Update the "matches" text to exactly match your Shortcut, pay attention to upper/lower case
      • Action:
        Screenshot 2024-02-23 at 11.39.09.png
        • Configure what you need, I switch scenes or stop the stream
Repeat for each hotkey you need. Bit of a process but seems to work fine and you completely bypass OBS' weird hotkey implementation. On the plus side you can do a lot with the Shortcuts, e.g. I also automatically bring the application I'm screensharing in a certain OBS scene into focus by adding a `Run Apple Script` block to the Shortcut with `tell application "Google Chrome" to activate` which opens Chrome or brings it to the front.

TFE

As I, and others, said above, just get a Stream Deck. And that's from someone who used a USB keypad with hotkeys for years before finally getting a Stream Deck. And, no, I own no stock in Elgato or their parent, nor have any other financial interest.

Yogomi

Switching scenes isn't always just about the desktop or a keyboard. I switch scenes using USB foot pedals for unique and specific reasons and I still have to use OBS v27 for this to work. This is not a situation where a Stream Deck will work. As I said before, this is a very basic, simple feature that should work and we shouldn't be encouraged to spends hundreds of dollars just to get a hotkey...A HOTKEY...to work.

And for the record, I actually do use Stream Deck (mobile), but only on the streams where I use v30 and I don't use hotkeys.

DRI374

I'm so disheartened to see this highly visible bug in OBS not being fixed by now. Stream Deck it is.