High GPU usage since 27.2.4 to the point I can't update anymore

Tortoruga

Hi,
I'm having issues with high GPU usage since 27.2.4 and I've not managed to solve this issue for over a year.

As I hit the "Start Streaming/Recording", GPU just jumps to 70% usage non-stop. 27.2.4 and below, it keeps at a reasonable 30%/peaks of 40% GPU usage under the same overlay and settings, considering my layout is pretty simple and I've been playing only retro games.

My setup:
Intel Core i7 2,1 GHz 12ª Gen | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 3070 EX

Log:

And more: even if I use a Portable Version of any above version, this will ruin my 27.2.4 version installing as well and even any other Portable I might have, so I need to do a complete uninstall, cleaning everything and reinstalling OBS 27.2.4.

It's like if it has something in those new versions that impacts even the old ones. But I really need to update my OBS right now, and even many versions after I'm still being haunted by this.

What I did so far?
- Running OBS as Admin
- Limited the frame rate to 60fps at NVIDIA Control Panel
- I redid my entire layout from zero
- Game DVR/Game Bar/etc turned off as the log shows
- Tried running OBS at high performance
- Turn off and on hardware acceleration
- Ran OBS with lower settings, and it did very little (considering I used the same settings at 27.2.4 and not even the lowest settings were able to reach 40% GPU, which was a rare peak before)

I might have tried other solutions but I'm not remembering right now

I really don't know what else to do and, honestly, it's been a threat to my business. I hope someone will be able to help me, it's been over a year trying to fix it.

Thank you all for your work, contribution and dedication.

Attachments

• 2023-08-25 15-14-54.txt
    24.3 KB · Views: 23

Tortoruga

This might be useful too:
Video Engine Load at 67/70% versus 30%/rare peak of 40% with OBS 27.2.4

Isn't this a bit... too much for an almost empty overlay with no Game/Window/Display Capture at all? (but just some Browsers)

Attachments

• eeb1b695-aece-486d-855b-0f6422ee6c29.jpeg
    eeb1b695-aece-486d-855b-0f6422ee6c29.jpeg
    226.5 KB · Views: 58

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
What's the actual problem? Your GPU isn't even running at max clocks so it's nowhere near limits.

Tortoruga

What's the actual problem? Your GPU isn't even running at max clocks so it's nowhere near limits.
I would like to know why OBS used way less before or what can I do to use the same as 27.2.4.

I'm not a huge tech savvy and probably because of this I really don't see any visual difference between this and the previous OBS to feel comfortable with over the double of usage, but maybe if I knew why this happens I could understand and accept better because I know everything has a reason.

I just think 70% is a bit too much with an empty overlay. Just the fact of OBS record nothing already consumes this much. I've been using OBS since 2014 and I've never experimented something like it. I wouldn't like to go live with a bug that is draining my hardware without a reason.

Thanks for your quick reply, it's very kind of you.

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
Check "Total GPU Power (normalized)" for a more accurate comparison. Without the GPU running at full clocks, any percentage-based comparison is meaningless. Sure it looks bad if you see "80%" utilized, but if the GPU is still only running at 10% of it's actual throughput that 80% is more like 8%. The GPU isn't going to waste power running at faster clocks when it can get the same work done with less power.

Tortoruga

Check "Total GPU Power (normalized)" for a more accurate comparison. Without the GPU running at full clocks, any percentage-based comparison is meaningless. Sure it looks bad if you see "80%" utilized, but if the GPU is still only running at 10% of it's actual throughput that 80% is more like 8%. The GPU isn't going to waste power running at faster clocks when it can get the same work done with less power.
That's true, it says a similar number (based in my hwinfo screenshot).

Still, what you would guess it made this big change from previous OBS (at video encode category, if I'm correct)? Because I'm really feeling an impact in my performance. Maybe I have an issue somewhere else?

Do you have any idea of what I could try to track this problem down (because maybe this change in GPU numbers isn't the complete picture) or any setting I could try to help it?

Harold

If you're recording, you should not be using CBR as your rate control, and more generally you shouldn't be using the P6 or P7 nvenc presets.