Hi guys, suggestion from someone who uses xsplit.

zetswei

I thought I'd check out OBS and see what it has to offer, and if it's worth the switch over. After playing around with the setup and what not, I created an account and thought I'd share a few things I think could make it work really well! Sorry if I just overlooked a way to do these things to be honest I probably didn't look for information as hard as I could have if I didn't already have an xsplit license.

I noticed just by having the program up and preview open, it was skyrocketing my computers load compared to what I would see from having xsplit open (this could be because xsplit disables aero, while OBS does not). Basically the load on preview was the same as when I have games, music, streaming, and video rendering going on at the same time even with comparable settings to my xsplit stuff.

When setting up my scenes, it was simple enough to do so which was nice, however you're leaving out a lot of customization. As a league of legends player, I like to have my webcam in a certain spot on the screen, as well as have random other things placed throughout my screen such as playlists, music videos, titles etc. I feel like this is very limited in OBS unless you want to cover up an important part of your HUD. Once again, could be ignorance because I didn't read into a whole lot of stuff.

While setting up the stream, I found it kind of annoying how switching tabs in settings called up a dialogue box to save/cancel even though I hadn't left the main window. I guess it's probably personal preference, but I always like to set my stuff up quickly, then recheck and save everything at once.

Overall think you guys are doing good work, to be honest I think it's the webcam settings and stuff that took away my interest for now. Hopefully when my xsplit license is up long down the road this will be further along keep up the good work!

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
The preview puts the same amount on your cpu, because except for sending the stream out, or saving to disk, everything is active. that way its perfect for testing performance ingame and similar stuff. It has been talked about if this should be changed, but the consens was to leave it as is i think.

You probably didnt hit the edit scene button? Except for the 3D functions of xsplit, everything and even more position options are available, as well as snapping of the sources to each other and the outer boundaries etc. Crop, resizing, everything is available.

Initially after the first setup you wont see the options, or different options windows that often. I think its mainly to make sure you WANT to save those changes or just revert them to their last set state.

Thanks for your feedback!

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
Yes, do check the help file, as that explains how to do pretty much everything (though I think it doesn't say how to crop a source, which is done by holding Alt and dragging the edge of the source).

Also, as a LoL player, you'll probably want to get the Simple Scene Switcher plugin, that will switch scenes based on your active Window so it will switch to your Game Capture source when you get in game, and switch back to the launcher when you leave. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1785

zetswei

cool thanks for replies, guess I'll look into that stuff. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to change the sizes of things except to right click them in sources, then it gave options for left/right corner etc I'll have to give it another look