help! obs slows my whole PC down when not even streaming / recording when playing a game

cie

I am hoping that I can some assistance as have trawled the internet for a solution but to no avail.

I'll set the scene - I have a 3080 RTX GPU i-9 intel PC with plenty of ram and bits and bobs. I also have 1 gig internet with the PC wired into the router with 100+ upload speed.

I would regularly stream from my office which would mean playing a game like warzone, destiny 2 etc whilst having song request active and it worked perfectly. However, we had a new baby and he needed my office as a bedroom, so off up to the attic my PC went.

Since then, when I try to stream via OBS I cannot play a game without the game and desktop running slowly. The internet is bang on and wired in. The PC is more than capable in terms of specification. I have tried to tone down graphics in game but it does not help. I have messed about with OBS, capped the frame rate, changed the bitrate from 6000 to 4000 and this does not help. I have changed the encoder settings and again it doesn't help. There are no virus' on the PC, and over 386gb of available space on the hard drive.

Even just having OBS open (not recording or streaming) causes my games to lag. I should mention that the games run perfectly when OBS is not open.

The stream itself works fine and records fine, so the actual streaming is not an issue - it's the games themselves that are lagging out. Additionally, trying to use say facebook or something on the PC is slow when OBS is open and a game is running.

I am no expert with tech stuff, but this is driving me mad - no idea why this is happening. Literally nothing changed bar moving my set up to a different room.

Last edited:

Lawrence_SoCal

1. don't ignore pinned post in the forum regarding OBS Studio log when asking for help
2. my suspicion is that you asked/allowed OBS Studio to update and there may be a plugin compatibility issue, or a change in the Encoder settings, or updated video driver, or OS change, that is causing the game impact.. But without having exact details of the before and after... no way to know.

The Encoding impact takes place when you open OBS Studio and have a scenes with any video rendering in them. Recording/Streaming is just outputting the work already being done (for the most part).... so not unexpected system behavior

PC in attic is wired Ethernet right all the way to router to Internet, right? no baby monitor next to router, or new electric cables running alongside ethernet cable(s)? Without specific cable testing equipment, hard to know if wiring issue up in attic (both Internet and A/C power) ... though a simplistic test would be to pull back downstairs

Also, you aren't using a babycam or other sending video to Internet (now causing bandwidth contention on upload)?