Hello, I really need technical support ! I need gurus on this topic!

agofun

So hello everyone, I have always dreamed of streaming, and when I finally made a purchase of a PC for my budget, I was glad until recently when I tried to start streaming, then everything became confusing and incomprehensible. So the situation is: rx 7900xtx + i9 13900k +32 gb ddr5 + ssd 1tb 980 evo pro. I ask for advice, why should I stream with which encoder? From the video card or the processor? I tried to stream BDO at the highest quality of the game, and my processor heated up to 85 degrees and loaded to 100% almost constantly.

agofun

I am also thinking about buying a second PC for streaming (I also don’t understand what would be better to stream through a video card or a processor??) Or sell 7900 xtx and buy 4080-4090
But I still want to take your advice.

AaronD

Video encoding takes a lot of processing power. The CPU can do it, with high usage, but if the GPU is designed to do it, then that leaves the CPU to do other things.

As for an engineering spec, there really isn't one. Your best bet for a new system is to go overkill and let it run easy. That also leaves room for you to grow into it, instead of being overloaded from the get go and not being able to do what you really want.

For the confusion and incomprehensibility, this is a technical pursuit. If you thought it was, "push button, make stream," it's absolutely not that! The Auto-Config Wizard tries to approximate it, but there's so much variation in what people want to do, what gear they have to do it with, what internet connection they have, etc., that nothing can make it *that* turn-key.

And from the questions that I often answer, along the lines of, "Why is <something> misbehaving?", it's a massive hindrance to not understand how a serious live media rig actually works, because you're literally building one.

Audio:
As a live Front-of-House and Broadcast Engineer (those are two different things with different goals and different techniques), I don't agree with everything in that video for either use, but it's a good start. You can follow links from there.

Video:

In both cases, OBS is both simpler than the examples, and weird by comparison. As if it was designed in isolation from the pro world and hasn't aligned with it yet. (there's a good reason for pro gear to work the way it does, and OBS...doesn't yet) But the principles still apply.

One principle to note right away is the clear separation between picture and sound. Different gear for each purpose, and they don't cross over except in very low-end cheap stuff. Everything "serious" handles the two streams completely separately, and combines them at the last moment to send out.

That's a good principle to keep in mind, as OBS's token audio processing is just that: it's token and not much more. It's okay for a game + mic, but doesn't take much complexity at all to break out of OBS's audio and do it all in some external thing instead, so that OBS only sees the finished soundtrack to pass through unchanged.

Lawrence_SoCal

!. I'm not a gamer, so take the following with a grain of salt, so to speak
2. There isn't a fixed answer of CPU vs GPU encoding as there are Pro's and Con's to each.. it depends.
Typically, NVENC has been much better than AMD at H.264 encoding. And using GPU encoding offloads from CPU for other activity. AMD doesn't put enough effort into software.. sadly enough, and AMD bet on H.265 which got stuck in a licensing mess.... so maybe AV1 will finally move us forward.
For YouTube, an Intel GPU with its AV1 encoder is early/cutting edge. Presumably (hopefully) other CDNs will follow as early challenges with new tech get ironed out (common accepted settings, etc, that takes time to flush out). For today, typically, nVidia and NVENC does better for encoding. but that is at a super high-level and depends on specific games, etc. Personally, I go to EposVox analysis for GPU encoder specific analysis and comparison

With that said, depending on workflow and content delivery network (CDN), you may find AMD's x.264 encoding is adequate for you? And all the providers re-encode and highly compress whatever you send them... so beware your expectations. There are some AMD specific approaches (which I don't have details, as I have NVENC) that you could research. But it sounds like CPU encoding is a no go for your setup.

agofun

Thank you very much for the answers, but I still do not understand what I should do :) Change the video card, build a second computer for streaming? Or reconcile and stream from the processor? (As I understand it, streams from an AMD video card are a complete bottom)

rockbottom

I see alot of people having trouble with the 4000 series, if you switch to Nvidia, I can tell you there are no issues with the 3000 series with the right driver.

agofun

I was told that you can just buy a video card specifically for streaming, something like 4070, insert it as a second video card and stream from it, what do you think?

rockbottom

Don't waste your money. PCI-e lanes will only be @ x8 4.0, effectively nerfing both GPU's.

Don't you have a 13900k? You already have the UHD 770 that encodes great too.

rockbottom

I use it to encode 2160p, 1080p & 720p streams concurrently. It stays right around 55% - 60% utilized. You'll see some uplift with your UHD 770 so performance will be even better due to the CPU.