HDR Window Capture looking fine in Properties and Filters, but low contrast on actual Preview/Output

Kivy

Hi everyone, I'm running into an oddly specific issue. I want to enjoy playing Destiny 2 in HDR while streaming it in SDR to twitch. Sadly, because of their weird anti-cheat, the game cannot be captured using Game Capture, and forces us to use either Window Capture or Display Capture.... Now when I add the game as a window capture source, the preview in the capture properties looks perfect. BUT for some reason the actual obs preview and output is low-contrast, almost washed out... It's still being tone mapped, just not properly?

i searched high and low and all i could find was this post that seems to be the same issue but i tried the solution and it didnt work for me:

I even tried creating a brand new profile and scene, added the game as a window capture, and the issue persists.

I tried taking a screenshot to show the difference but since my OS is running in hdr the screenshots are blown out anyways.... and taking a picture of the screen doesnt show the difference in contast.

Kivy

OK so I did more tinkering and I kinda found a solution: I need to set the color space to Rec.2100, but keep the color format as NV12... OBS gives me a warning message saying those two are not compatible, which makes sense, but hey, the output looks amazing now... so idk

i cant change the format to an actual hdr format cause those arent supported by NDI. I honestly dont even understand how I can use 2100 in 8 bit, makes no sense lol, but it works so i'll stick to this. weird.