HDR Video source - Tonemapping to SDR stream

Shuriken200

That sucks :(

Also. I think Elgato has some sort of HDR conversion in their 4K software?

Any other way to at least let me use LUTs for this problem?

I still do not get why some people get a washed-out picture(that they can then use LUTs for) and other people(me included) gets an overblown picture that no LUTs can help.

Really weird.

roccityroller

Figured out a workaround for this today. I used NDI Scan Converter when I had a 2 PC setup, but I'm moving to 1 PC and was having the blown out image in OBS that couldn't be fixed by LUT.

But if you install the NDI plugin for OBS and then run scan converter to capture the HDR monitor, Scan converter does the tone mapping and the image looks good in OBS.

I still did some LUT / CC work, but I can play in HDR and stream through OBS just fine now.

Hope this helps anyone else who finds this thread.

Shuriken200

I too might have found a solution. Tho I have only tried with one HDR game so far(GoW 2018 PC edition)

It seems the capture method has something to do with it. For many years I have been told to NEVER use Game Capture in OBS since that is heavier on the resource on the PC. Instead, I have exclusively used Display Capture with huge success so far(In SDR games I might add)

Right now I tried to use Game Capture instead. And the image on the stream PC(using dual PC setup) now looks washed out and LUTS can work finally! No Overblown look with detail loss indeed!

Since both Screen Capture options( and HX) uses Display Capture hook and not Game Capture it cannot(yet) display HDR correctly. But with this method, I can at least revert to Game Capture when playing HDR games.

I'm so happy! =D

CartoonistDude

Figured out a workaround for this today. I used NDI Scan Converter when I had a 2 PC setup, but I'm moving to 1 PC and was having the blown out image in OBS that couldn't be fixed by LUT.

But if you install the NDI plugin for OBS and then run scan converter to capture the HDR monitor, Scan converter does the tone mapping and the image looks good in OBS.

I still did some LUT / CC work, but I can play in HDR and stream through OBS just fine now.

Hope this helps anyone else who finds this thread.
I'm trying to understand what you mean the NDI "Scan Converter". It looks like it change to that to Screen Capture, but even using it I get the blown out image. Did you have to check anything off in the NDI tools?

Shuriken200

I'm trying to understand what you mean the NDI "Scan Converter". It looks like it change to that to Screen Capture, but even using it I get the blown out image. Did you have to check anything off in the NDI tools?
As far as I understand there is no way to get correct HDR capture using Screen Capture(HX). Therefore you have to use NDI via OBS when capturing HDR games(See post above). This way you get washed out images you can use LUT to fix 95% off it and get a passable image to stream while you enjoy full HDR gaming :D

Wish you the best!