HDMI output lags

Keebler

So, last night I was recording a church service in OBS. the capture IN OBS was near perfect (except for poor image from the DSLR camera). however, the HDMI output from my laptop (to the monitors in the front of the church) was lagging the entire service.

Let me explain. this was the FIRST time I used OBS to do the entire service from Proclaim (USB HDMI capture card), to a DSLR camera (USB HDMI capture card). there was no lag IN OBS that I could see. in fact I frequently checked to see if the mouth movement matched was being heard - it all synced fine... other than the poor quality from the camera itself, what would cause the HDMI output to the front monitors to lag and how do I correct it? (the lag was noticeable, as it was about 1 to 2 seconds behind) as He moved his arms or walked around the platform.

camera issues that I am aware of and I know how to correct, the speaker's face was white washed (should be corrected by using manual settings for white balance), and it appeared out of focus frequently (could also be attributable to white balance, the auto focus on the lens only adjusted a few times but could have been confused by people in the auditorium.

the audio was captured directly from the sound board through a USB audio capture card (it was great at low to mid volume, but unusable at high - i am sure that is due to improper settings in OBS or the level from the soundboard or both)

the video lag was bad enough the speaker does not want to use OBS if the lag can not be corrected - I have no doubt that it is something i did/set wrong, any help would be greatly appreciated. Not sure if the log will help, but I can upload it if needed...

laptop:
HP 15-DY203NR
Processor
Intel® Core™ i3-1115G4 (up to 4.1 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 6 MB L3 cache, 2 cores, 4 threads) (11th Generation Intel® Core™ i3 processor)
Memory
8 GB DDR4-2666 MHz RAM (2 x 4 GB) Transfer rates up to 2666 MT/s. 2 x 4 GB
Hard drive
256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD 256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD

konsolenritter

Hi Keebler, welcome aboard.

You mix two indepentent characteristics of streaming and/or recording.
You correctly do checking the lip-sync between audio and video while being processed within OBS. Thats right and important. But that does mean only that audio and video do reach your machine at the same time. Regarding wall-clock time (real time) these signals are delayed already. The processing thru OBS do additional delays. Then the hdmi output. Then the front monitors do.

Thats what you're looking at.

Your post above addresses possibly to many issues. You should split it up into different threads please, one issue only per thread.

Keebler

i am not sure how to break these up since they all occurred at the same time.. perhaps if i could get some direction on how to resolve the HDMI output lag first< that would help a great deal. then i could address the other issues - thank you

JohnPee

Starting simply, you are using OBS to capture a service and stream to YouTube, you are also using the same arrangement (OBS and cameras) to display the service on monitors in the "church". Any processing of video through OBS will introduce a delay which, if you can see the original speaker and the video on a screen at the same time will be noticeable. Short of simply feeding video from the camera(s) directly to the screen I'm not sure how you can minimise that delay.