Question / Help Having voice chat on own mixer

Caithloki

I am currently having issues with recording my friends voice chat, when I record they are connected to the game audio, which I set low so the game does not drown me out. But the problem is that with them connected to it they pulled down to the low level of the game, making them sound quiet/unhearable.

I am wondering how would I go about pulling say steam voice chat to its own mixer to match my voice levels so both parties can be heard over the game audio.

moriz1

there's an application called "virtual audio cable" that allows you split off certain applications into their own audio track, which you can then record from in OBS.

alternatively, you can use the hardware solution: get a second sound card (even a basic USB one would work. i suggest the Behringer UCA222), direct your voice com application to use that second card, and then combine the two audio tracks using a basic mixer (i use the Rolls MX42), which you connect to your speakers/headphones. this approach bypasses the potentially buggy software solution, as well as allowing you to have analog control of track volumes, so you can turn the game or voices up/down whenever you need, without affecting the final recording.

Caithloki

Okay, I will look into VAC, I tried voicemeter but every tutorial was pretty much just for excluding audio.

With VAC am I still able to hear the two sounds sources (voice chat and game audio) in one set of head phones?

Deadspidervenom

Use voicemeter banana, its pretty easy to setup, i use it and VAC to listen to music on my stream with them hearing it.

If you need help i can talk you through it

Caithloki

Decent thank you man, I think i got it all properly setup now, did have to switch to skype instead of steam since it doesn't like you pick audio.

Caithloki

Use voicemeter banana, its pretty easy to setup, i use it and VAC to listen to music on my stream with them hearing it.

If you need help i can talk you through it
I did attempt to use it but I just couldn't follow what it was doing, VAC seems to be working but if issues do come up once I start recording I will drop you a message man.