Hardware encoders?

blender

Saw a video that mentioned there is such a thing as external hardware encoders. What are they and how much do they cost? Which ones are good? I heard they start at $200?

If I can take the load off my CPU and GPU and get better encoding quality that would be great.

koala

Current GPUs come with hardware encoders built in. Nvidia GTX and RTX GPUs come with nvenc, Intel iGPUs come with Quicksync, AMD cards come with VCE. If you set the x264 "medium" preset as 100% quality, the quality of nvenc on RTX and GTX 16xx is also 100% quality, Quicksync perhaps 80%, VCE perhaps 60%.
Other external hardware encoders are not supported by OBS.
If you want to relieve your CPU from encoding and get the best quality, get some Nvdia RTX GPU, or GTX 1660/1660 SUPER or GTX 1650 SUPER for your PC.

blender

Current GPUs come with hardware encoders built in. Nvidia GTX and RTX GPUs come with nvenc, Intel iGPUs come with Quicksync, AMD cards come with VCE. If you set the x264 "medium" preset as 100% quality, the quality of nvenc on RTX and GTX 16xx is also 100% quality, Quicksync perhaps 80%, VCE perhaps 60%.
Other external hardware encoders are not supported by OBS.
If you want to relieve your CPU from encoding and get the best quality, get some Nvdia RTX GPU, or GTX 1660/1660 SUPER or GTX 1650 SUPER for your PC.
Would something like this give better quality than x264 medium? LINK
Would I be able to connect a second monitor displaying fulls screen OBS preview to it and encode the stream that way?
Also, when I encode with x264 or NVENC, my video ends up having frequent stutters, and I'm wondering if something like this would eliminate them.

koala

The device you linked is what OBS does, just in a hardcoded and simple way. It takes a hdmi video signal, encodes it and streams it to some streaming service. OBS has no part in that, it is a replacement for it.

If you have issues with stutter and choppy video on your current PC with OBS, well, this is probably the most often asked question around OBS. Half of the forum is full of it. Read the sticky threads and consult the troubleshooting documentation: https://obsproject.com/wiki/Troubleshooting-Guides