Hard crash using Virtual Camera GL_OUT_OF_MEMORY

ZeroLabs

There's a bunch of weird things in the log file but OBS seems to run anyway, right up until I try to use Virtual Camera. Continues for about 4 minutes then crashes. I mean REALLY crashes hard. Monitors go no signal. Keyboard unresponsive. Only thing that works is a hard reset or power cycle. All of my many computers run only Xubuntu 20.04.5LTS. Three of them have OBS. Only my primary streaming computer has the problem. OBS 28.1.2. Nvidia GTX-220 with nouveau driver because Nvidia does not support legacy hardware on Kernel 5.15, even though driver 340.108 shows up under Additional Drivers. GLX works just the same. I also bump up against bandwidth limitations with 5, sometimes 6 USB cameras running so I have uvcvideo.conf in /etc/modprobe.d with the line
Code:
options uvcvideo quirks=128
as well as distributing them across as many busses as possible. It's pretty obvious from the log file attached. This is not random. It is 100% repeatable. Any help resolving will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 2022-11-13 18-48-58.txt
    19.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_2022-11-13_15-07-02.png
    Screenshot_2022-11-13_15-07-02.png
    261.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_2022-11-13_15-07-28.png
    Screenshot_2022-11-13_15-07-28.png
    40.4 KB · Views: 16

ZeroLabs

As a follow-up to my support request, I completely uninstalled OBS 28.1.2, purged ~/.config/obs-studio, started again from scratch. Still saw tons of error messages but it did not crash when I started Virtual Cam.

Then I uninstalled again, purged configs, eliminated the PPA and installed the default OBS 25.0.3. Positively zero errors in the log files (see attached), but also no virtual cam. This transition from GLX to EGL is apparently not without it's consequences. Would sure like to have Virtual Cam and a stable build with my legacy Nvidia Hardware. I do have a GTX 750 Ti SC on it's way so I can use newer driver instead of Nouveau, but am not terribly hopeful it will make any difference.

Am I alone with this problem?

Attachments

• 2022-11-20 18-29-24.txt
    13.9 KB · Views: 7

ZeroLabs

You would have to create GDB backtrace to give us an idea what may be crashing.
Not sure what that is but I'm a quick study. Just point me to where I can learn how and I'll be happy to oblige. Love the product. Happy to help make it better.

ZeroLabs

Cool. Will run it on Thursday. Does it matter what my working directory is? And where will it dump the backtrace file(s)? Same working directory?

I also presume I run this in advance of starting OBS?

I'm sad now that I disturbed the condition that results in a total system crash by reinstalling from scratch. Still plenty of errors for someone to sort through but I'm not sure I can replicate the original scenario.

Last edited:

ZeroLabs

Well, bad news is I definitely shot myself in the foot when I uninstalled completely and reinstalled. Can't replicate the crash now. Good news is I can't replicate the crash now. Also installed the GTX 750 Ti I bought and Nvidia driver 515. It didn't make any noticeable change good or bad. What I did learn is the time outs and failed to log status errors are simply all my Logitech C270's lagging on start-up. It is what it is.

Ultimately, reinstalling from scratch seems to be what resolved my root problem. Seems stable now. Thanks @Tuna for chiming in. Support request withdrawn.