Question / Help H.265 HEVC missing? (for streaming)

sycholic

was just talking to a friend and he has H.265 option for his encoding, but I do not. I know for a fact my hardware support and has this so there something Im missing that you need to do to be able to employ that encoder? I can use it in ReLive so I know for a fact hardware wise its there and I have it... just not in OBS sadly. Please tell me this isnt a Nvidia/AMD bias again?

add. edited title for clarity.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 121471

I have an AMD RX 580 and H.265 encoding is only available for recordings, not streaming.

sycholic

Let me check I know it works for streaming cuz ReLive has no issues at all streaming to twitch.

Yeah same as I, its there for recording but not streaming... I want to keep OBS because it supports multichannel audio.

And ReLive doesnt allow me to stream 21:9.... h/x.264 cant handle 3440x1440 30fr/s within 6mb/s either with any kind of decent quality.

Last edited:

Boildown

H.265 isn't going to handle 3440x1440p30 at 6Mbps with any decent quality either. I'd love to be proven wrong though. Does it actually look ok when recorded? Because that's the best case scenario when streamed.

For that matter, which streaming service even supports H.265? I didn't think Twitch did, does YouTube or something?

Osiris

No streaming service that uses RTMP ingests supports h265. Also relive does not stream h265 to Twitch, it uses h264.

sycholic

Well it doesnt make sense honestly why quality then would be such a difference... should I be trying to use hardware for OBS also then? thought OBS does better when you have tons of CPU to chew out quality video but a tolerable bitrate. What would you suggest?

koala

Apropos hevc: this is only very slowly being adopted, if at all. Don't wait for it. The cause of this is the licensing. It's the uncertainty of how expensive streaming with hevc will be in the end, because some of the many licence holders of hevc opted out of getting a share of the general fees and chose to charge licensees individually. For big players like Twitch or Youtube, this is unacceptable.

It's quite possible that hevc will never get a significant market share because of this. It's starving to death, because the license holders are too greedy. The AV1 codec was developed as substitute - designed with the similar technical features but royalty free. It may happen that this codec will be the actual successor of h264 and not h265 (hevc).

Boildown

Apropos hevc: this is only very slowly being adopted, if at all. Don't wait for it. The cause of this is the licensing. It's the uncertainty of how expensive streaming with hevc will be in the end, because some of the many licence holders of hevc opted out of getting a share of the general fees and chose to charge licensees individually. For big players like Twitch or Youtube, this is unacceptable.

It's quite possible that hevc will never get a significant market share because of this. It's starving to death, because the license holders are too greedy. The AV1 codec was developed as substitute - designed with the similar technical features but royalty free. It may happen that this codec will be the actual successor of h264 and not h265 (hevc).

Did some research, and it looks like big players will deliver their UHD/4K content to customers with H.265 pretty soon, if not already. But I think that's the only market its going to end up taking. Which then makes sense that the OP wants to use H.265 for 2K / ultrawide. The problem is that live encoding of H.265 (as opposed to re-encoding already-recorded content) is really hard, and H.264 is just flat out better for hobbyists. Then tack on the licensing reasons Koala cited and I agree, live streaming H.265 to Twitch, YouTube, Facebook, name a free service, may never happen.

Spurgeon

Hi, I am told by Boxcast.com that they support HEVC encoding.

Will it be possible to use this RTMP service with HEVC encoding?

As on date, VLC supports HEVC. Any way of using that as an encoder with OBS, until OBS comes up with HEVC Encoding for streaming?

Thanks!