[Guide] Two PC configuration without Capturecard

SevenofNine

I'd really appreciate some help, I've never used linux before so I really need an idiot proof guide.
My current setup is a AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE PC, I can stream with ease at 720p in decent quality, but ever since moving house my internet speed has dropped considerably. My goal is to use two pc's (i7 laptop and previously mentioned pc), laptop to locally record the shoutcast at 15000 bitrate and stream it to my pc which then streams it to twitch.

Now I've installed a VM with ubuntu on my PC according to this guide. Now when I type in the following command (/usr/local/nginx/conf/nginx.conf) in the terminal I get the message "Permission denied".

I'm really lost at the moment, any help would be really appreciated

SevenofNine

Ok appologies, I found a friend to help me with that issue. If there are others with this issue it was "gedit /usr/local/nginx/conf/nginx.conf".
Now I do have a new problem, the config itself, my needs are slightly different than what this guide was made for, could anyone tell me which settings I should be using? My live settings are 1800 bitrate and 2000 buffer.

ps. Just to confirm, I should be using nginx on the pc streaming to twitch, not the one locally recording correct?

Ok appologies, I found a friend to help me with that issue. If there are others with this issue it was "gedit /usr/local/nginx/conf/nginx.conf".
Now I do have a new problem, the config itself, my needs are slightly different than what this guide was made for, could anyone tell me which settings I should be using? My live settings are 1800 bitrate and 2000 buffer.

ps. Just to confirm, I should be using nginx on the pc streaming to twitch, not the one locally recording correct?
Look at the last few pages of the thread where you got the pre-configured VM. I have a different version posted as well as some screenshots that I think will point you to what you need whether you keep your current VM or download the one I made.

Senshin

Wanted to say I got this succesfully working on 2 laptops :).
Quality is awesome with Nvenc now.

If people still doing this or want to do this, I will then post my setup and how I get it worked.

3nFlux

Wanted to say I got this succesfully working on 2 laptops :).
Quality is awesome with Nvenc now.

If people still doing this or want to do this, I will then post my setup and how I get it worked.

I am extremely interested in this and would greatly appreciate it if you would post your setup. I have a GSYNC monitor and this method seems to be my only option for quality.

Senshin

Ok, I will make a write down, will take some small time.

Understand I use Nvenc to a other laptop with a 2630QM cpu.
This makes 720P @ fast possible or 1080P on veryfast, couldn't get it stable on faster.

Quality is damn high, it's better then normal cpu preset and sure ALOT better then quicksync/nvenc, this setup made me so happy, for instance, I can stream Dayz with almost without pixelations, normally it's impossible to stream this game with Nvenc/quicksync because of the quality, even my 3840QM couldn't make it super nice without super framedrops.

Today I will post some settings and how I did it, one thing I know, it took me weeks to make this stable and working!

Senshin

Ok, first of all.
Know where you are starting on, this basux are simple, to get a stable and running stream, you need to test a lot and see where your bottlenecks are, use a program to utilize the CPU to start with, so you know when the CPU is getting a hard time.

I am a noob in these kind of things, so I tried to find the most convient way possible.

Ok, let's begin:

First is what I did is download this program on this page:
https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/private-rtmp-server-preconfigured-virtualbox-image.5873/page-3
Thank to the creator of this pile of software I can make this work, so credits to him.

I use this with Oracle Virtual program, to open this on my 2nd computer.
Now it need's to be setup, you should do this right, else you got alot of extra I/o traffic what will kill some quality.

To control my other computer I use Teamviewer, this because else it's a pain in the $%^$ to switch pc's all the time.

okok, open oracle virtualbox and add your rtmp server I gave in the first link.
Now first some settings before starting :).
dcf9ebb3d4.png

Put your CPU settings good, I have a I7, some people say I need to use 4 threads, some high I can reach higher quality with set it to 8, you should test it for yourself what works best I geuss, but this page is important.

Second one is also VERY important, If you don't do it your I/O traffic will be doubled on the second pc, It will kill your performance for sure!
241c1c9b15.png

Go to Networks, and put in Bridged mode, this will give your virtual server a own IP, I checked this in my router config to find the ip, I think their some other ways, but this setting is almost most important, don't forgot to change it!

Other thing is, I DONT use the stream app as suggested by alot of players, people say when you stream to twitch directly like this the stream will stutter, this is not true for the version of nginx, it's works even better when you set it like this:
b040b3adab.png

So DISABLE application stream by putting a # in front of it, you don't need it.

For any questions, feel free.

Kalle

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
Hu? It does not use any of your internet speed as you send this within your local network. The second PC is supposed to re-encode it and then send it out at a lower bitrate.

Senshin

Yeah sorry, but encoding is on with 3500 bitrate.

First pc > 2ndPC @ 25000 bitrate
2ndPC > twitch @ 3500 (example).

ASS4SSIN

Just wanted to let you know, I use two windows pc's to stream.
The first is obviously suited for gaming and it host's the nginx server(for windows obviously), it also encodes the whole stream(gameplay, mic, webcam, overlay) at 20,000 kbit/s using obs (nvenc) and send's it to the localhost nginx server.
The second one also uses obs to reencode the stream, I could've done that via window capture and vlc but it's easier to use the video source plugin, just type in rtmp://<ip of your gaming pc>/live/<streamkey> and obs should display the stream from the first pc also reencode it and sending it to twitch/hitbox/other rtmp server.
Cheers

There is no benefit. He can control his final upload settings quicker since it is controlled in OBS on the second computer, but running nginx on the gaming machine is not a requirement for that. Hopefully the nginx service that is running on the gaming machine is not encoding the stream beyond wrapping it with ffmpeg.

FortuN

Im totally not knowing where to go.

What would be the best for me if i want to stream from my Main Desktop (I5 3570K, 660TI) to my 2nd Pc, Laptop (i7, msi ge70 to be more specific)?

One uses Windows 7 and the other, laptop, uses windows 8.

I just want the easiest way. Both are on same network.

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
nginx for windows will be enough @FortuN, other way would be a capture card (if you meant that).
then either use vlc or the video plugin or a flash player in a website to watch the stream on your laptop

FortuN

Thanks, however, i want to stream it out to twitch with my 2nd computer.
What i ment, what would be the easiest way to do the streaming to twitch from my 2nd computer.
Would it be as in the first post or as Senshin did? Whats the difference between those two? And also it this guide old and there are better ways to do it? I just want so that my first pc is using for example Nvenc or Quick Sync (since x264 with some games just uses to much CPU to run smooth) and then send it to my 2nd pc (Laptop) that will do the hard CPU work with x264 to Twitch

I just want to have as little programs installed as possible to make work and as easy as possible

Last edited: