[Guide] Linux(Ubuntu-based OS) installation

Anthonyea27

Guide to install and run OBS-STUDIO on Ubuntu based OSs(such as ubuntu, mint, etc.)
I feel like i should help out my community :) so here you go guys!

Ok, we'll be installing obs-studio via a ppa, which means it will automatically update as they are released! We're gonna also need FFmpeg, mainly because of dependencies.

Step 1 - install ffmpeg: Open terminal and type in "sudo apt-add-repository ppa:jon-severinsson/ffmpeg". When that is finished, type in "sudo apt-get update". it might take a little depending on how much youve installed before. When its finished, type in "sudo apt-get install ffmpeg". Then when that finishes, you're done with the dependencies!

Step 2 - install OBS-STUDIO: in terminal, type "sudo apt-add-repository ppa:obsproject/obs-studio". wait for it to finish, then type "sudo apt-get update". When thats done, type in "sudo apt-get install obs-studio". Congrats! You have OBS installed on linux

Step 3 - run obs studio: in terminal, type "obs". it will launch obs-studio. do not close the terminal until you close obs itself.

Id like to thank Jim, the creator, for working so hard on this new obs version. I absolutely love it, and ill be using it a ton, all the while reporting bugs i find for you :D Thanks!

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Hey! Glad you're getting it working. Thank you for posting it, it's something I should have done.

Keep in mind that although I do the majority of the code for the core and UI, the linux modules (which are the real meat for linux users) are not made by myself.

BtbN for example went to all the work of making the PPA, provided all the cmake stuff and the builds, as well as the xcomposite capture module and libfdk module for higher quality FDK-AAC if a user has it available. Leonhard and others also made X shared memory capture for screen capture as well as pulseaudio capture, and just recently V4L2 video device capture.

Without these guys we wouldn't have any real usable linux version yet, so they deserve the credit for the linux version's progress, not me.

Anthonyea27

Well then Thanks to everyone who is working on obs-studio as a whole. It means so much to me to finally be able to stream with a working, optimized program instead of just one script that i cant customize at all. And it doesnt crash nearly as often as I was expecting, as well as being able to run and put out a high-quality stream on a low-end non-gaming laptop without taking away from the game's performance.....amazing.

ladyqonimvu

i can load it but it crashes still video problem
followed the ppa directions to the letter ..
nada..
14.04 lts is version

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
The video error is an issue on our end. We're hoping to solve it by 0.6.0.

EchoAlan

Ok. So I followed the steps and got it all installed. Now, when I try to open it, I get this message in response:

Attempted path: share/obs/obs-studio/locale/en-US.ini
Attempted path: /usr/share/obs/obs-studio/locale/en-US.ini
Attempted path: share/obs/obs-studio/locale.ini
Attempted path: /usr/share/obs/obs-studio/locale.ini
Attempted path: share/obs/obs-studio/license/gplv2.txt
Attempted path: /usr/share/obs/obs-studio/license/gplv2.txt
info: OBS (linux)
info: Processor: 2 logical cores
info: Processor: Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2060 @ 1.60GHz
info: Physical Memory: 1890MB Total
info: Kernel Version: Linux 3.16.0-31-generic
info: Distribution: "Ubuntu" "14.04"
info: audio settings reset:
samples per sec: 44100
speakers: 2
buffering (ms): 1000

info: X and Y: 902 489
Backbuffers: 2
Color Format: 3
ZStencil Format: 0
Adapter: 0

error: Failed to create OpenGL context.
error: Failed to create context!
*** Error in `obs': double free or corruption (out): 0x0a0e9fc0 ***
Aborted (core dumped)

Can anyone please help me?! It's been a tough road (including issues with getting a new hard drive for my computer) getting to this point. I now have to see this through to the end! HELP ME PLEASE!

BroCrafter14

Please type glxinfo | grep "OpenGL" in a terminal & paste the print here.
OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS780
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.1 (Core Profile) Mesa 10.1.3
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 1.40
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.3
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL extensions:

Zoddie

Hi guys, just wanted to let you know that this is happening:

Err http://ppa.launchpad.net jessie/main amd64 Packages
404 Not Found
Err http://ppa.launchpad.net jessie/main i386 Packages
404 Not Found
Ign http://ppa.launchpad.net jessie/main Translation-en_US
Ign http://ppa.launchpad.net jessie/main Translation-en
Err http://ppa.launchpad.net jessie/main amd64 Packages
404 Not Found
Err http://ppa.launchpad.net jessie/main i386 Packages
404 Not Found

for both stable and unstable, coming from ftp.gtlib.gatech.edu
on apt-get update

ThatNugget

Ive run into a problem, I got it properly downloaded and everything and it works just fine, but I have to force open it using terminal with LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 obs-studio
Its ok but if theres a way I can somehow just open it without having to do this command then Id be happy to know

CreepersNeedHugs

I got an error while trying to do Step 1. It just blinked into the terminal for less than a quarter of a second.
I had to screen record to actually be able to see anything of it.

[WARNING:bus.cc(638)] Bus::SendWithReplyAndBlock took 30049ms to process message: type=method_call, path=/org/chromium/VmCicerone, interface=org.chromium.VmCicerone, member=LaunchVshd
[ERROR:object_proxy.cc(621)] Failed to call method: org.chromium.VmCicerone.LaunchVshd: object_path= /org/chromium/VmCicerone: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
[ERROR:vsh.cc(136)] Failed to send dbus message to cicerone service

Can someone help me with this?
I am running on GalliumOS (Ubuntu/Debian based Linux distribution), Android, and ChromeOS
This is an ASUS Chromebook.

Info (as shown on COG System Info):

Operating System: ChromeOS
Chrome Version: 88.0.4324.186
Platform: Linux x86-64

CPU: Intel Celeron CPU N3350 @ 1.10GHz
Architecture: x86-64
Memory: 3.738 GB
Plugins: Chrome PDF Plugin; Chrome PDF Viewer; Native Client; Office Editing for Docs, Sheets, & Slides

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-09 at 2.23.22 PM.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-09 at 2.23.22 PM.png
    68.9 KB · Views: 33