Question / Help GTX To RTX

TGFM_Jac

I recently Upgraded from a GTX 1050Ti to a RTX 2070 and when i try to record my games with the new GPU the video comes out worse then it did when i was using the GTX 1050Ti even when i lower my settings. it kinda seems like my RTX is weaker then my GTX when it comes to streaming and recording. The rest of my specs are kinda low in I have a:
500W power supply
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1500X OC'ed to 3.9GHz
GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 WINDFORCE 8G
Motherboard: MSI Gaming AMD Ryzen A320
16GB of ram
Here's my OBS Log files for the RTX 2070 (the game ended up crashing): https://obsproject.com/logs/mWKa-kd-9WMYXUi_

FerretBomb

Don't record with CBR or VBR, and NEVER EVER record directly to MP4 with OBS.

Use CQP or CRF instead; they are quality-target based encoding, and will use as much or as little as needed to maintain a consistent picture quality. Normally you'll want to use between 16-22, and lower is higher quality but larger file sizes.

For the file format, record to MKV if you use multi-track audio, and remux from mkv to mp4 if you need those for your editor from the OBS File menu, Remux Recordings. If you record to MP4 directly and ANYTHING goes wrong during the recording process before the file is completely finalized, the video will be turned into un-salvageable digital garbage.

And nah, the Turing NVENC core in your 2070 is much, much higher quality than the Pascal core in the 1050. When using a quality-based target there won't be much visible difference, but the recorded files will be smaller (due to more efficient encoding).
For streaming with CBR, there will be a visible quality upgrade with the 2070.

An immediate issue is that you're running a downscale from 1080p to 720p. That's always going to incur quality loss, and look worse than native. Likewise, it appears your PS4 capture device is set to only run at 720p? You should either create a new Scene Collection and Profile with your canvas set at 720p, or bump up your PS4 capture to 1080p with the current one.

TGFM_Jac

Don't record with CBR or VBR, and NEVER EVER record directly to MP4 with OBS.

Use CQP or CRF instead; they are quality-target based encoding, and will use as much or as little as needed to maintain a consistent picture quality. Normally you'll want to use between 16-22, and lower is higher quality but larger file sizes.

For the file format, record to MKV if you use multi-track audio, and remux from mkv to mp4 if you need those for your editor from the OBS File menu, Remux Recordings. If you record to MP4 directly and ANYTHING goes wrong during the recording process before the file is completely finalized, the video will be turned into un-salvageable digital garbage.

And nah, the Turing NVENC core in your 2070 is much, much higher quality than the Pascal core in the 1050. When using a quality-based target there won't be much visible difference, but the recorded files will be smaller (due to more efficient encoding).
For streaming with CBR, there will be a visible quality upgrade with the 2070.

An immediate issue is that you're running a downscale from 1080p to 720p. That's always going to incur quality loss, and look worse than native. Likewise, it appears your PS4 capture device is set to only run at 720p? You should either create a new Scene Collection and Profile with your canvas set at 720p, or bump up your PS4 capture to 1080p with the current one.

Thank you so much! it Works way better i record in 1080P with no problem i still get alittle skips but barley. i ended using CQP on 18 and having my base canvas on 1920x1080. You're the best i've been struggling with this problem for a while now and its finally fixed!

FerretBomb

Awesome! Glad to hear it, man. :) If you do a recording session and get the little skips to happen, then post the log here, we can see about maybe getting those fixed too.

One immediate thing to try is running OBS as Administrator if you aren't already; 24.0.3 had a beta workaround added that lets OBS grab GPU time before games. So it can help make sure OBS gets to handle all of its recording stuff first (OBS fighting the game for GPU time is a super common cause of hitching).

In any case, cheers!