Question / Help Great FPS Ingame, Horrible FPS In Recording

Hello, I've been trying to record videos using OBS and every time I finish recording, the video is incredibly choppy and the framerate is all over the place. I get a consistent 60+ FPS ingame but the recording stays around 10-15, never going above the 30 that I set it to record at. I've tried lowering the game's graphics settings, which I didn't expect to do anything since the game itself was running fine already, and I was correct. I also tried running the game in windowed borderless mode, again to no avail. Also when I am just recording my display with no games open, I get the full 30 FPS that I set OBS to record at. I've attached a screenshot of my recording settings and pasted my PC specs below.

GPU: Zotac NVIDIA GTX 980
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4GHz
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII
RAM: Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR3
SSD: Crucial 1TB
HDD: WD 3TB
PSU: Corsair RM1000 1000w

Log File: https://gist.github.com/2c2cc64e92eb976a23e5cbe2b495b453
gfdhjksgfs.PNG

Attachments

• gfdhjksgfs.PNG
    gfdhjksgfs.PNG
    71 KB · Views: 2
Unfortunately the logfile you uploaded does not contain any recording attempt output...

Can you do a few minutes' worth of recording (Doing what you would normally do in-game) then stop the recording session, then upload a current logfile please so I or someone else can further assist in troubleshooting:
https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/please-post-a-log-with-your-issue-heres-how.23074/

In your logfile I noticed you have Windows GameDVR enabled. This may be a cause of the performance issue as even when you are not using it, just having it enabled in Windows settings it will always hook into the game process and commit resources (Similar to what OBS does when OBS is open, though more aggressively as it also buffers for replay recording)

Limiting your frame rate in-game will help a lot in getting the best quality out of your hardware in regards to recording/streaming. I recommend using MSI AfterBurner or EVGA Precision to cap your fps to your monitor refresh rate, or 1-3 frames higher than your monitor refresh rate will generally resolve the issue of screen tearing. Try to avoid V-Sync as it can induce input lag.

One thing to note:
Using Monitor Capture for capturing game play is far less efficient than using Game Capture, as it relies on your system RAM to grab the frame, which is far less efficient than the direct hooking method used by game capture.
Monitor capture has the graphics card write the frame to system RAM before OBS grabs it to encode, then sends it back to the graphics card to render for final output.
Game capture grabs the frame directly from the graphics card for OBS to encode before sending it back to the graphics card for final rendering of the frame.

Just make sure to not have both Monitor Capture and Game Capture in the same scene, Monitor Capture should always be in a scene by itself without any other capture source methods.